Shutterstock is looking for an experienced backend software engineer to join our search team! The search team’s mission is to push the boundaries of multimedia search, enabling customers to find content faster and easier. You will be working on developing new discovery paths and improving our core search technology. Along the way you will be collaborating with an extremely talented and passionate team of researchers, data scientists and engineers and will help ensure the successful launch of innovative new customer-facing features.
- As a Backend Software Engineer, you will be responsible for helping build innovative search discovery paths.
- You are excited about taking on ownership of important projects as well as working closely with the rest of the team to ensure successful completion of work.
- You enjoy designing and coding distributed and scalable services to continually improve the search discovery experience for millions of customers daily.
- You will work with engineers, data scientists and researchers to drive ideas from the rapid prototyping phase all the way through to serving live traffic at scale.
- Passionate about writing and maintaining high-quality software that solves real-world meaningful problems at scale
- Interested in helping your teammates grow, and continually expanding the team’s tech knowledge
- Experience writing large scalable applications
- Experience delving into and solving complex issues in a distributed system
- Able to shepherd projects from prototype stage into production
- Fluent in several programming languages, both dynamic and static. Experience with Python and Java preferred. C++, Go, or Scala are also beneficial.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience (PhD a plus)
- 3+ years of development experience
- Information retrieval, search engine design, query tuning, learn to rank, search evaluation
- Experience with, or interest in learning: machine learning and computer vision (deep learning a plus). If you do not know any machine learning or computer vision you will be exposed to work in these fields and will have the opportunity to begin learning more.
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes experience
- Hadoop, Hive, Spark or related technologies
- Open source experience
- Strong engineering discipline and ability to write clean code in python or Java
- Familiarity with tools for working with data in AWS such as Amazon Redshift, Amazon Athena or related
- Familiarity with large scale data processing or ETL workflow frameworks (Airflow, Luigi, Pinball)