Strava is composed of dedicated, fun-loving individuals, unified by our mission to build the most engaged community of athletes in the world. And it feels like we’re onto something big. Millions of athletes are already on Strava, with thousands more joining every day, and we’ve assembled an awesome team to keep us growing all around the world. Strava is the Swedish word for “strive,” which epitomizes our attitude and ambition: We’re a passionate community, committed to our athletes, each other, our business, and the deeply held belief that there’s always time for a run, ride, coffee or all three.
About this role
We’re looking for a backend software engineer to work directly with our Growth product development team. You will work on a cross-functional team focused on user acquisition, activation, and retention to build the strongest community of inspired athletes worldwide. As an infrastructure engineer on the Growth team, you will build the backend systems and services that support the team’s rapid feature iteration, multivariate testing, and analytics capabilities.
In this role, you will work across the breadth of Strava’s backend systems, including RPC services, stream processing, batch data processing, and ETL infrastructure. You will improve existing services and design new ones, and you will work closely with our Infrastructureengineering team to ensure these systems are reliable and performant. The Growth team is data driven and experiments rapidly to drive core business metrics. You will need to support short term feature velocity while also planning and executing longer term technology initiatives that will make our experimentation more effective.
- Work with our Growth product development team to design, build, and maintain backend systems and services that support the team’s roadmap.
- Support web and mobile engineers as they integrate backend systems into product experiences.
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve our growth and experimentation infrastructure, tooling, and process.
- Provide strong technical feedback to other engineers through code reviews, engineering design reviews, and collaborative problem solving sessions.
What we look for
- B.S. in computer science or equivalent experience.
- Track record of delivering backend software in large, reliable, and scalable distributed systems.
- Experience with cloud-based services such as Amazon AWS.
- Experience with relational or NoSQL databases such as MySQL, Redis, or Cassandra.
- Excellent programming skills with at least one language such as Ruby, Scala, or Go.
- Experience with open source distributed systems technologies like Kafka, ZooKeeper, Finagle, Storm, Spark, Elasticsearch, Mesos, and Docker.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails.