Join a brand new team to build the next-generation signal gathering infrastructure and help deepen Stripe's understanding of businesses and the online economy.
Stripe's mission is to build the economic infrastructure for the internet. To achieve this goal, we rely on data to better understand online businesses and the online economy as a whole. As a backend engineer on the Signals Crawling team, you will build and design scalable systems to collect and represent this data from a range of external data sources. Signals Crawling is a brand new team at Stripe - as one of the first engineers on the team, you will have outsized impact on the architecture and design choices behind these systems.
- Build systems that extract highly relevant information from public and/or proprietary data sources. For example, you might build a scalable web crawler, or a system to process data from business review services.
- Design elegant, reusable representations of signal data.
- Collaborate with specialists from Stripe's machine learning, risk and data science teams to come up with new ideas to improve our at-scale understanding of businesses and the online economy.
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack.
- Work with engineers across the company to develop the right technologies for scaling the infrastructure. Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
You may be a good fit if:
- Enjoy and have experience building scalable backend infrastructure.
- Think about systems and services and write high quality code. We work mostly in Ruby, with some Scala and Go. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that's different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and - -
- Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world.