We're looking for people with strong background or interest in building successful products or systems; you're comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces; you have exquisite attention to detail; and you're comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, services, and systems across Stripe's engineering teams.
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack.
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale.
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy and have experience building APIs.
- Think about systems and services and write high quality code. We work mostly in Ruby, with some Scala and Go. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that's different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world.
It's not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers' needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn't work on APIs before joining Stripe.
You might work on:
- Build a new API for our users, or iterate on existing APIs.
- Launch a new market or payment method.
- Work with our Analytics and Fraud teams to reduce chargebacks and declines.
- Build new tools for our business teams.
- Build new systems to securely store sensitive data.