The Core Models team is responsible for ensuring that we have a standard, interoperable integration path across our APIs, and that adding additional functionality (such as tax calculation or inventory management) to an integration is a simple, incremental change. This team will also ensure that our core models satisfy the needs of both existing and future products, while having clear interfaces that help internal teams maintain product velocity and focus on the specific needs of their users.
We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building successful products or systems; you’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces; you have exquisite attention to detail; and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
- Design, build, and maintain APIs that users can rely on for decades
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Work with engineers across the company to ship interoperable products on strong foundations
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have at least five years of professional software development experience
- Have technically led projects which have involved multiple engineering teams
- Enjoy thinking rigorously about API design and diving deep into the details
- Think about systems and services and write high quality code. Languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar for quality when shipping products
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world.