Back - End Developer ( Java ) - Big Data
Don’t mistake us for a typical corporation. We are not looking for just a team member, we’re searching for someone to enrich our family. We will let you write the code and bring your ideas. We will believe in you and give you creative freedom to allow you to do the best work of your life. Sounds familiar? Perfect! We’ve got what it takes to keep you feeling challenged and empowered.
Here’s a little song we wrote about you: You have worked on large projects and your background is in Java or in any other object-oriented language (PHP or Python). You’re a natural-born problem-solver and always game to develop products that solve real-world problems for customers around the globe.
You enjoy learning things that you’ve never touched before. This is your chance to intimately collaborate with a small team, to take on big projects that greatly improve the product. We love critical thinkers who like to question why we do things this way and want to do better.
Change agents are everywhere at Lightspeed, are you one of them? That comes with taking ownership of the code you write, coupled with strong architectural skills. If you want to do the best work of your life while being surrounded by talented colleagues, we think we should talk.
Now we get to brag about us: Lightspeed provides retailers and restaurateurs the simplest way to build, manage, and grow their business while crafting a better customer experience. Lightspeed empowers small business owners with a complete overview of their business in one place - more than 50,000 businesses processing over $15 billion in transactions use.
Lightspeed’s point-of-sale and eCommerce platforms for inventory, customer preferences, sales, and analytics. Founded in 2005 with offices in Canada, USA, and Europe, Lightspeed is backed by Accel Partners, iNovia Capital, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ), and Investissement Québec (IQ). We're passionate about enabling people to do their best work.
- Be a key member of your team to deliver product features and functionalities
- Translate requirements into conceptual and detailed designs with estimates
- Design & architect software for a wide range of services and systems in a large SaaS environment
- Work with the Product Manager to understand and challenge the requirements
- Develop clean, maintainable code in a continuous integration and continuous deployment environment
- Actively provide constructive feedback to other developers through code review
- Assist QA and Support staff in troubleshooting software issues as well as implementing bug fixes
- 3+ years experience developing reliable, highly available and scalable software (preferably in a scalable SaaS setting)
- Experience with architecture of enterprise applications
- Strong experience with object oriented languages (primarily Java, Python or PHP)
- Experience writing automated unit and functional tests
- Experience with relational (SQL) or non-relational (NoSQL) databases
- Proven skills in server side resource profiling, optimization and debugging
- Experience in building scalable APIs
- BS/BA in Software Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Basic proficiency in a UNIX/Linux environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Experience with Git/Github
- Good understanding of Design Patterns
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Experience in a continuous delivery model
- Experience with event based and messaging systems
- DevOps background
- Experience with Payment processing, Point of Sale (POS) and/or eCommerce
- Experience in distributed systems for microservices architectures
And when you’re not programming?
In addition to the perks you see in the Careers page, you’ll get access to:
- Flexible working hours - No punch in no punch out!
- Brand new office in a castle, one of the best development centers in Montreal
- Even if we became bigger everyone has an impact on the company as a whole
- We encourage initiatives and leadership
- Tech talks - Sharing is caring :)
- Happy hour every Friday afternoon
- Birthday treats every month - 300 people in Montreal, that’s a lot of cakes!
- Fun activities with your teammates - Be part of the Lightspeed Family!
- Work with highly skilled and smart people.