We are looking for a Cloud Architect to join our Cloud Engineering team within our Infrastructure as a Service division. IaaS ensures the continuous availability of the technologies and systems that are the foundation of athenahealth’s services. We are directly responsible for thousands of servers, petabytes of storage, and handling thousands of web requests per second, all while sustaining growth at a meteoric rate. We enable an operating system for the medical office that removes administrative complexity, leaving doctors free to practice medicine. But enough about us; let’s talk about you.
You are an engineer with a passion for working hands-on with the latest and greatest cloud technology. You want to use the newest tech, but you want to do so in a large environment so you can see how that technology is used when scale matters. What’s most important to you is learning new things- and you’re seeking the best environment to enable that growth for yourself.
The Team: We are a bunch of engineers who are passionate about reliability, automation, and scalability in a cloud-native environment. We use an agile-based framework to execute our work, ensuring we are always focused on the most important and impactful needs of the business. We support systems in public cloud (AWS & Azure, specifically), and make data-driven decisions based on which one best suit the needs of the business. We are relentless in automating repetitive manual work so we can focus on projects that help move the business forward.
- Look across hundreds of AWS & Azure accounts/subscriptions, identify opportunities to improve costs, efficiency and security.
- Design Kubernetes clusters in AWS & Azure (EKS & AKS) maintain and manage the authentication, optimization, and operation of the clusters.
- Develop system design for Cloud service (both AWS & Azure) to ensure self-service abilities to engineering, enable guardrails to meet HIPAA & HITRUST requirements.
- Develop and maintain blueprints for application/infrastructure patterns and evangelize adoption and usage of AWS & Azure best practices.
- Identify and propose alternative technology to create scalable implementations and achieve results.
- Provide AWS & Azure technical expertise in design, architectural mentorship, assessments, POCs, etc. and support of the overall design.
- Produce clear and concise design documentation.
- Evangelize DevOps culture and automation for application and infrastructure as Code (IaC)
- Demonstrate leadership ability to back decisions with research and articulate several options, the pros and cons for each, and a recommendation.
- 10 or more years of relevant experience; at least 6 or more years of experience as an architect
- 4 or more years of experience with Azure and AWS required
- Expertise with AWS & Azure networking and securing the cloud environments.
- Expertise in building secure, HIPAA & HITRUST compliant infrastructure.
- Experience in Azure Domain and AD services, license management for Azure users
- Experience in automating AWS and Azure infrastructure using Terraform, ARM templates & cloud native tools.
- Significant experience in programing languages such as: Python, Node.js, Powershell scripts and shell scripts
- Familiar with release engineering tooling such as Git, BitBucket, Jenkins, Artifactory & JIRA
- Familiar with open-source tooling such as Ansible, Puppet, Terraform, Prometheus, Grafana, Kibana, Graylog, Azure ADO, Jenkins
- Proffered AWS & Azure certifications
- Ability to work with teams across different geographic regions.
- Our Vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
- Our Location: This role is based in Watertown, MA, just a few miles outside of Boston. Watertown is our Global Headquarters and our campus, the Arsenal on the Charles, is home to several restaurants, a local gym and large outdoor space. This office also has a cafeteria, coffee café and food trucks that rotate every day.
- Our Culture: At athenahealth, our employees (or “athenistas”) are committed to making healthcare smarter. Our success is dependent on the diversity, collective spirit, and contributions of our people, clients and partners. We value teamwork and believe that the strength of our team comes from supporting each other and leveraging our specialized skills. If you are looking for a company that will enable you to work outside of your comfort zone to transform the healthcare ecosystem, athenahealth is the place for you.
- Our Perks: Along with health & financial benefits, our athenistas are offered a variety of perks that promote employee wellbeing such as commuter support, collaborative workspaces and dog-friendly offices - just to name a few.