About Blue Cross
At Blue Cross, we understand the importance of finding a job that you truly enjoy — at a company that shares your values. We’ve made it easy to feel good about working at Blue Cross by encouraging volunteerism, valuing diversity and offering the flexibility you need to live a balanced life. We offer a suite of comprehensive medical and dental benefits as well as competitive pay, flexible work schedules and generous personal paid time off in addition to 20 hours of volunteer paid time off each year. We look forward to serving Minnesotans over the next 80 years and beyond. Join us and make a healthy difference through the work you do every day.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota is one of the most recognized and trusted health care brands in the world with 2.9 million members. We’re committed to reinventing health care to improve health for our members and the community. We hope you'll join us.
The Enterprise Data Architect is responsible for developing enterprise level data strategy to guide solutions across data platforms. Aligns business, technology and data strategies to define project and/or program level data architecture that enables business objectives. Works with project managers, other architects, and delivery teams to effectively manage the data solution across initiatives to ensure an optimal, high level, conceptual data design. Analyzes and translates business information and technical requirements into a data architecture blueprint to achieve business objectives. Contributes to enterprise level architecture frameworks, proof-of-concept, data architecture standards and reference architectures. Serves as an advanced level technology expert across multiple data disciplines.
A Day in the Life:
- Contributes to the creation of architectural frameworks and develops and communicates guidelines and best practices for specific technology use.
- Provides governance over architecture plan documentation and may propose changes in policy, process, and standards as they relate to data architecture and design principles ensuring adherence to Data Architecture Standards.
- Collaborates with business partners and IT to align strategies, advocating and communicating information technology strategies to the business and business strategies to IT.
- Researches and maintains awareness of current and emerging process, policy, and technology solutions related to Data Information Technology and overall strategy.
- Provides advanced level technical guidance, and mentors or leads others.
- Establishes data architecture and model review processes to ensure that architectures and model designs adhere to enterprise data standards
- Executes to the technology vision, strategy and architecture plan to enable BCBSMN to achieve its business objectives.
- Utilizes a high level of business knowledge and multiple areas of technical expertise to define the enterprise data management roadmap that guides the strategic direction for the enterprise.
- Develops, documents, and maintains the enterprise data architecture which includes the principles, standards and models for transactional and analytical systems serving both strategic and tactical needs.
- Executes project and foundational data analysis, data design and modeling, and architectural reviews while ensuring quality and compliancy to the enterprise data strategy.
- Mentors, educates and leads others in data architecture strategic directives, principles through project development life cycle.
- Monitors and evaluates systems and procedures to protect data systems and databases from unauthorized users.
- Identifies and determines causes of security violations and recommends corrective actions to ensure data security.
- Maintains an awareness of existing and proposed security standard setting groups as well as State and Federal legislation and regulations pertaining to information security.
- Identifies regulatory changes that will affect information security policy, standards, and procedures, and recommend appropriate changes.
- Ensures regulatory compliance and the safeguarding of the corporation’s reputation through the assurance of the confidentiality, integrity and availability of corporate and personally sensitive information.
- Serves as an advanced data technology expert in design efforts, proof of concept (POC) exercises, analysis of solutions, performance tuning/testing and interfaces for new software deliverables or for making significant enhancements to existing ones.
- Contributes to the development of guidelines and best practices for specific technology use.
- Performs sizing level estimates for proposed and/or upcoming efforts.
Required Skills and Experiences:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or related topic and 7 years of related experience in information data services role with 2 years in a senior data architecture planning role, or 11 years of related work experience in lieu of a degree.
- Demonstrated strong skills in applying the data modeling techniques of: 1) relational (i.e., entity relationship diagrams) modeling; and 2) dimensional (i.e., star join schema) modeling.
- Demonstrated human relation skills to effectively interact with peers, subordinates, internal and external customers and vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and motivate individuals and teams.
- Advanced presentation skills and oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced technical knowledge of mainframe and client/server environments.
- Advanced analytical skills related to cost / benefit analysis of large dollar hardware and software implementations.