The AVP, Underwriting Technical Development leads, directs and evaluates global Sr. Underwriter Consultant case activities. Using expert level risk assessment skills and underwriting experiences to evaluate and audit cases prior to cosigning the case. Acts as the underwriting expert researching, developing and training best practices in global markets. Leads or participates in underwriting projects to enhance service capabilities to RGA’s clients. Recommends and participates in the development and implementation of process improvements that may extend beyond the area of oversight.
- Evaluates complex risks including high net worth cases with cosigning authority up to given parameters (company maximum). Ensures underwriting quotes are sound, competitive and profitable. Makes exceptions within approval authority and RGA philosophy and practice.
- Evaluates complex cases providing problem resolution for Regional, Chief and Sr Underwriting Consultants to improve offering to clients.
- Researches, develops and trains best practice underwriting guidelines globally. Utilizing underwriting expertise and global market data to creatively solve problems to improve business results and client relationships. Effectively communicates, negotiates and sells underwriting guidelines.
- Acts as the underwriting subject matter expert for the development of training modules for client underwriters at all levels of the organization. Provides technical oversight and development on delivering underwriting professional development programs to RGA’s senior underwriters globally. Serves as a business technical resource to local and regional Chief Underwriters around the globe on highly complex, large and substandard risks.
- Cultivates good working relationships with the Chief Underwriters and their senior underwriters across RGA through regular outreach in each of the major geographies where RGA does business.
- Manages working groups to deepen company insights into developing trends in risk selection, client exceptions and special programs to formulate and propose a global underwriting response. Represents RGA at industry functions and meetings on an as needed basis.
- Actively provides expertise to support the leadership team in developing plans, coordinating activities and in assuring global underwriting teams are aware of key activities. Ensures work area goals contribute to accomplishing GST underwriting solutions and RGA objectives.
Educaiton and Experiences
- 15+ years experience underwriting life, disability income, TPD, critical illness products including for impaired and other complex risks
- 7 + years’ experience underwriting high net worth life insurance policies in excess of USD 20 million.
- Bachelor's degree or comparable experience
- Experience developing and communicating complex or difficult concepts including underwriting guidelines and/or procedures
- Experience identifying underwriting training needs and delivering this training, either in one on one on-the-job situations or in more formal settings
- AALU designation
- 20+ years of direct underwriting experience with mortality and morbidity with demonstrated progressive levels of responsibility. Experience in or exposure to underwriting in various global markets.
- 5+ years auditing underwriting activity for high net worth cases
- Strong foundation and knowledge of RGA’s underwriting philosophy
- Prior experience in RGA’s facultative underwriting techniques
- Completion of FLMI and FALU designations
- Experience with evaluating and adopting new underwriting techniques such as alternative requirements (eg. prescription databases), developing automated underwriting rulesets or other automation of new business and/or input into predictive modeling
Skills and Abilities
- Intermediate MS Office, SQL/Query, and Excel skills
- Expert ability to comprehend and interpret insurance and contract documents.
- Expert knowledge of insurance principles, underwriting policies and procedures and guidelines for dealing with risk analysis
- Highly developed business writing skills and writing underwriting guidelines and processes
- Advanced medical and financial underwriting skills are essential
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills using experience, research guidelines and internal resources
- Expert persuasion and negotiation skills when working with internal/external customers to resolve issues/problems
- Exceptional people management skills, demonstrating the ability to lead, mentor, and develop associates; including the ability to delegate key areas of responsibility
- Highly advanced investigative, analytical and problem-solving skills utilizing experience, research, guidelines and internal resources
- Exceptional ability to make timely and effective decisions and produce results through strategic planning and the implementation and evaluation of programs and policies
- Exceptional ability to implement organizational, divisional, and/or departmental vision and goals that result in achievement and success through exceptional leadership skills, collaboration, creative thinking, maintaining focus and persistence, even under adversity, while maintaining the confidence of management and associates
- The ability to work independently with minimal oversight yet complete goals/tasks within agreed on delivery dates.
- Ability to prioritize among competing priorities to ensure tasks and/or projects are completed well as and when needed
- Strong power point skills
- Leadership skills with the ability to promote RGA’s thought leadership