Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.General Summary:
The AVP, Category Management Leader is accountable for developing, managing and executing the category and sourcing strategy for assigned categories of spend working closely with business partners utilizing the categories.
This leader must work collaboratively with other AVP, Category Management leaders to achieve overall strategic capabilities specific to Category Management, Supplier Relationship Management, Supplier Risk Management and all sourcing activities. This leader must build, coach and develop a high performing and diverse team delivering quality, efficiency and strong partnerships.Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads a high performing team in the sourcing of suppliers against business requirements for complex, high risk and/or enterprise critical engagements that may have significant impact to business outcomes.
- Implements leading practices related to category management and all sourcing; partners with the procurement operations team in setting direction for source to pay cycle including spend analytics, supplier on-boarding, RFP processes, contract negotiation practices, and supplier risk and performance management execution.
- Demonstrated strong partnerships with ability to engage in strategy and roadmap development of priorities, proactively providing external market trends and spend analysis for tradeoffs and business decisions.
- Responsible for managing external spend area with regard to strategy development and implementation, cost, value (quality, assurance of supply, service and innovation) and supplier relationships and performance.
- Responsible to influence supplier diversity, sustainability, and corporate social responsibility programs, in addition to compliance, spend tracking, savings analytics and reporting for strategic and key suppliers
- Develop program with our supply base to contribute savings opportunities and expand business value via innovative solutions.
- Responsible for Supplier Relationship Management including managing the business review process with strategic and preferred suppliers to ensure that supply market trends, supplier performance and our future business needs are aligned.
- Provide direction and management leadership for supplier relationships and supplier negotiations
- Ensures strong culture of supplier risk management in all processes and activities.
- Drive thought leadership for sourcing of categories by leveraging market and industry intelligence, trends, innovation and best practices
- Develop supplier negotiation strategies that reflect and maximize Unum's buying power, focus on service quality/performance and minimize risk exposure. Lead negotiation process for complex, high value transactions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in supply chain management, contracting, procurement, business administration, economics, finance, accounting, statistics, or math.
- 10+ years of procurement, category management, supplier management and procurement or equivalent work experience in business and/or technical functions; MBA preferred
- Proven track record of creating and implementing a category management and supplier management program, including program governance and hands on relationship building
- Strong financial acumen and analytical skills
- Outstanding relationship and communication skills with ability to collaborate and influence across levels with internal and external partners (including senior executives) and across geographic markets.
- Excellent contract/supplier negotiation preparation and execution skills to achieve desired outcomes, including understanding tradeoffs between strategic and financial drives and contractual protections.
- Strong conceptual thinking skills with adeptness to lead others through ambiguous and/or complex issues.
- Ability to work in a fluid, fast-paced, and at times unstructured environment and maintain flexibility to meet the changing needs of our business
- Strong initiative with ability to set stretch goals and define steps to achieve results.
- Ability to articulate difficult ideas and concepts through concise verbal and/or written communication.
- Experience managing change across multiple stakeholder groups
- Proven ability to recruit, develop and retain diverse talent
- Superior analytical ability to quickly gather facts, perform root cause analysis and draw conclusions
- Strong focus on process simplification and standardization to reduce effort, create efficiency and enhance quality; establish culture of continuous improvement and innovation.