Another Source’s client, CSU Long Beach, is recruiting an Associate Vice President for Strategic Future Planning to join their team in Long Beach, California.
Here’s a little about CSU Long Beach and the position they are recruiting for:
Located just three miles from the Pacific Ocean, CSU Long Beach is a 322-acre campus home to top-notch professors, successful alumni, and a diverse student population ready to take on the world with a highly regarded education. Ranked as a top university and known nationally as “The Beach”, the values of the campus community are the foundation of their brand. Highlighted in the Beach 2030 strategic-planning process those valued principles are: teaching and learning are at the center of who we are and all we do; compassion, creativity, and innovation characterize our culture; diversity is our strength; the public good is our responsibility. CSU Long Beach is transformative, inclusive, and empowering; there are no barriers to what can be accomplished.
Reporting to the Vice Provost for Academic Planning, the Assistant Vice President for Future Planning will provide leadership for implementing University Strategic Plan Actions and embed Futures Thinking in university planning processes. This is a leadership position working collaboratively with the President’s Executive team and the Provost’s Leadership team.
Provide leadership for the implementation of Strategic Plan Actions:
- Champion initiatives and campaigns associated with University Strategic Plan.
- Implement all aspects of University Strategic Plan Actions in collaboration with President’s Executive Leadership team, Deans, Academic Senate, Student Government, and Staff Council.
- Provide guidance and tools to university leadership to execute action plans and communicate issues and progress.
- Assist in organizing action teams and building cohesion among the various teams and plans.
- Develop measurable outcomes and regularize reporting of progress, including the assessment reports specific to return-on-investment.
- Coordinate University Action Plans and physical planning, financial planning, and campaign themes.
- Coordinate communication and celebrations of strategic plan actions and outcomes to the campus community and other stakeholders.
Provide leadership to embed Futures Thinking in university planning processes:
- Be a thought leader on futures thinking.
- Work with university leadership to identify future trends and embed them in university planning.
- Develop shared lexicon, strategies, and mechanisms for sharing futures ideas and tools across divisions, action zones and university departments.
- Provide CSULB-unique training for faculty and staff to embed futures thinking and project management tools and techniques across the institution.
- Create mechanisms to evaluate, integrate, and incentivize futures thinking.
- Create needed foresight, data, and futures thinking reports.
- Offer foresight capacity to regional educational and corporate partners.
- Plan for a national conference on futures thinking for public higher education.
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Five years of related experience in strategic planning or large project management related to higher education.
- Experience in foresight leadership or futures thinking.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Demonstrated strong administrative leadership and senior management expertise.
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing strategic plans and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus withing a cross-cultural and cross-divisional work environment.
- Demonstrated history to explore difficult issues around systemic racism and unconscious bias in future planning.
- Demonstrated ability to develop action plan centered on inclusion and equity.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple work streams and respond rapidly to opportunities and challenges.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to drive initiatives forward at both the detail and big-picture levels.
- Ability to effectively build, lead and motivate teams of individuals with diverse skills and abilities.
- Demonstrated success in building collaborative, cross-functional relationships with the highest levels of academic leadership.
- Superior leadership, organizational, analytical, oral and written communication, presentation, interpersonal skills to facilitate effective relationships inside and outside of the University.
- Must demonstrate ability to work effectively in consensus- style operation that expects and promotes teamwork.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to persuasively and efficiently deliver presentations and articulate vision.
CSU Long Beach is proud to offer a comprehensive benefit program including a few fun highlights below:
- The CSU Employee Fee Waiver Program allows eligible staff or their eligible dependents to attend courses at any CSU for reduced rates at a maximum of two courses or six units per term, whichever is greater.
- One of the big WOW's is that this position accrues 16 hours of vacation per month. That's 5 weeks of vacation per year in addition to the 13 paid holidays and 8 hours accrued per month of sick leave.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU.
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. CSULB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Another Source works with their clients, on a retained project basis, to maximize the recruiting process.