About the Company
Lincoln Financial Group, a Fortune 250 company with over 10,000 employees, provides advice and solutions that help empower Americans to take charge of their financial lives with confidence. Our core business areas — Life Insurance, Annuities, Retirement Plan Services and Group Protection — focus on supporting, preserving and enhancing over 17 million customer’s lifestyles and retirement outcomes.
Headquartered in Radnor, Pennsylvania, Lincoln Financial Group is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE: LNC) and its affiliates. The company had $238 billion in assets under management as of December 31, 2018.
Ranked one of the Best Large Employers in America by Forbes magazine, Lincoln Financial Group makes a serious investment in our employees’ futures through a broad range of wealth accumulation and protection plans, health and wellness programs, and career development resources designed to help each individual reach their personal and professional goals.
This position provides leadership, direction and functional expertise on complex projects/initiatives, with a focus on the overall management of Lincoln’s Absence/Leave Management and Statutory Disability products. S/he will lead a team of professionals to provide consultative legal and business advice to the Absence/Leave business.
- Leads a team of professionals to provide legal and compliance support to the Absence/Leave Management and Statutory Disability products.
- Maintains knowledge on current and emerging developments/trends for leave laws, assesses the impact, and collaborates with team and business to identify opportunities for innovation and support product development initiatives.
- Collaborates and establishes relationships with internal and external partners to ensure products remain compliant with federal and state laws.
- Provides legal review and counsel on complex leave-related queries, leave agreements and complex claims referrals.
- Performs complex research and analysis to ensure compliance with proposed, new and existing leave laws and provides legal advice and counsel.
- Provides legal support across the multiple business areas serving leave products.
- Contributes to the development of strategy related to leave law issues for LFG and its business units.
- Manages relationships with business areas through ongoing communication and involvement with projects.
- Interacts with regulators and industry groups on leave and statutory disability topics.
- Prepares and delivers presentations to customers, brokers and other third parties.
- Serves as a department subject matter expert for leave related products and laws.
- Maintains current knowledge of legal developments and trends, assess the impact, and ensures that new trends/developments are appropriately incorporated in current/future strategies.
- Identifies and communicates legal exposure and risk in a timely and proactive manner to internal key senior stakeholders.
- Negotiates, drafts and/or approves agreements, dispute resolution, regulatory disputes and commercial claims.
- Oversees the production of legal research including the use of electronic, hard copy, and Internet resources, as necessary.
- Provides legal and business advice and counsel to senior management.
- Selects outside counsel and directs them on various legal projects, as appropriate.
- Supports compliance programs.
- Displays leadership characteristics and champions a culture of compliance and ethical behavior.
- JD from an ABA-accredited law school and member of a state bar in good standing is required
- 7+ Years law experience at a large law firm and/or corporate legal department or equivalent experience
- Preferred experience counseling on Absence and Statutory products
- Knowledge of the leave services and regulatory framework
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and effectively with legal and compliance team members and with business leaders at multiple levels of organization
- Understanding of leave concepts, knowledge of key industry trends and excellent business acumen
- Superior oral and written communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to efficiently read and interpret legal documents such as policies & contracts
- Ability to efficiently read and interpret statutes, regulations and other legal authorities.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from diverse audiences including consultants, senior leadership and other stakeholders
- Ability to apply applicable law to and draw appropriate conclusions from established facts
- Ability to gauge the level of detail appropriate for different audiences
- Ability to gather facts from various sources and take initiative to get information that is not provided
- Possesses and demonstrates qualities such as integrity, professionalism, leadership, judgment, initiative, follow-through, strong work ethic, reliability, strategic thinking, ability to execute and work independently, relationship skills, team player and respectful of others
- Has a keen awareness of the regulatory environment and industry “best practices” and brings a positive, proactive and flexible approach to the position
- A demonstrated track record of consistently meeting and/or exceeding performance expectations
- Demonstrates the ability to use sound judgment and discretion regarding confidential information
- Ability to perform other duties as required
This position may be subject to Lincoln’s Political Contribution Policy. An offer of employment may be contingent upon disclosing to Lincoln the details of certain political contributions. Lincoln may decline to extend an offer or terminate employment for this role if it determines political contributions made could have an adverse impact on Lincoln’s current or future business interests, misrepresentations were made, or for failure to fully disclose applicable political contributions and or fundraising activities.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our web site or to personal e-mail accounts of employees of Lincoln Financial Group are considered property of Lincoln Financial Group and are not subject to payment of agency fees.