Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is basedin Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
The Unum organization is seeking a Program Lead to add to its Absence Management team. Under limited supervision, the Program Lead is responsible for working with cross-functional stakeholders to ensure the successful delivery of the Absence Management program across both business and technology dimensions. Must be able to bring together a diverse stakeholder group to maintain alignment of business and technology leadership, including both “change the business” and “run the business” organizations in order to implement the Absence Management solution that supports the Business and IT Strategies.
As a member of the Absence Management team, this individual will partner with the Absence Management Business Delivery Highway (BDH) Manager and Business Owner to define the program business value. The Program Lead will be accountable for driving the team through development phases; ensuring adherence to the vision of the BDH and program benefits; delivers on time, in scope and on budget. The Program Lead will need to proactively respond to shifting priorities and constraints to align product vision and deliver capabilities in line with their business value.
This role is content responsible for defining the business vision, prioritizing business value against investment priorities, and developing a strong team of Product Owners to supportbusiness value outcomes.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify, refine, and accurately articulate the business objectives and value proposition of assigned initiatives. Bring alternative perspectives and influence consensus among stakeholders.
- Lead the development of a compelling business case that measure and communicate proposed project benefits.
- Work with Business Consultants, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), and Business Leadership to define the operating model and processes required to enable the business case and proposed benefits.
- Collaborate with the IT Lead and Product Owner to identify key business requirements that must be fulfilled by the Absence Management solution.
- Partners with the IT Lead to ensure that the appropriate solution is delivered in line with business and technology reference architectures.
- Responsible for the success of the Business Development Highway for assigned work with limited supervision.
- Responsible for stakeholder engagement with Business and Technology leadership, as well as operational functions, regarding the Absence Management solution and associated impacts.
- Outlines BDH team and individual goals with corresponding milestones to be tracked and establishes team member expectations and assign responsibility and ownership to individuals for various work-streams
- Accountable for approval of final Absence Management solution testing including user acceptance testing.
- Simultaneously support multiple initiatives as assigned and perform other duties as assigned.
Ten years of relevant insurance experience and three years of agile business system implementation experience using cloud technology.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Bachelor’s degree in business (e.g. Operations, Economics, Finance) required; Master’s degree in Business and/or MBA preferred. Experience as a Program Lead on a technology transformation program is preferred. Past experience in claims management or insurance operations enabled through technology is a plus.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
- Analytical Thinking (Advanced): Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesize and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Facilitation (Advanced): Uses and adjusts style and technique to assist group process and understanding.
- Communication (Advanced): Demonstrates effective verbal, written, and listening communication skills.
- Teamwork (Advanced): Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Relationship Management (Advanced): Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results
- Business Perspective (Advanced): Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the group insurance industry to make decisions.
- Technology (Intermediate): Uses, leverages and maintains proficiency with corporate and job specific technology as it evolves (e.g., hardware, software, business unit applications and systems tools).
- Conflict Management (Intermediate): Brings conflicts into the open and resolves them collaboratively.
- Change Management / Resilience (Advanced): Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Risk Taking (Advanced): Identifies, assesses, manages and takes intelligent risks to attain objectives.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.