What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
This role’s primary responsibility is to underwrite various lines of business within Global Insurance – Professional Liability. Reviews contract wordings, meets and negotiates with clients and brokers and builds relationships and to develop new and renewal business, in accordance with underwriting authority grant and underwriting guidelines.
- Analysis and quantification of D&O and related Management Liability products for a client base across a broad range of publicly traded and private companies in all industry segments.
- Analysis of coverage and contract language based on industry accepted policy forms and Markel proprietary forms.
- Underwrite accounts in accordance with underwriting guidelines and procedures and referring exceptions to the VP, SVP, Managing Director, and Executive Underwriting Officer.
- Negotiate with brokers on premiums, terms and conditions within the established guidelines.
- Hold or actively participate in client/underwriter meetings in order to qualify inherent risks and exposures to the Company’s policies
- Bachelor’s degree in related field from an accredited University/College
- No insurance or reinsurance certifications are required
- Minimum of 10 years underwriting public D&O and related management liability exposure, broking or other relevant experience
- Extensive experience with industry accepted policy forms and strong working knowledge of applicable endorsement wordings
- Extensive experience working with Aon, Marsh , Willis and other large retail brokers
- Strong client relationships with Fortune 1000 Risk Management community
- Experience with Microsoft Office, and other standard computer tools.
- Proven experience required in a sales production role.
- Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to communicate effectively, and excellent negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent problem solving/decision making abilities.
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.