Responsible for the Field Liaison, Utility Actuarial, and Actuarial Support teams within Product Development. Primary objectives are to provide competitive insight of the needs of consumers and distributors to achieve a sustainable competitive advantage with the life portfolio. Lead efforts for directing special actuarial projects, tax filing and manual calculation teams. Communicate to key stakeholders on product strengths of all newly developed products. Strategic role that will aid in the development of product strategy and interface with broad spectrum of key stakeholders including Marketing, IT and Product Steer Committee. Responsible for developing and growing direct reports and other team members.
- Provide leadership and direction in the area of seeking competitive intelligence on consumer and distribution needs. Communicate to key stakeholders product strengths and how Sammons? Financial Group Companies can win against competitors.
- Partner and collaborate with leader of Product Pricing, Implementation & Reinsurance to provide input into product design. Drive decisions on competitive intelligence that provide necessary data on which design decisions can be enacted.
- Lead the Utility Actuarial team by identifying special projects where insight is needed prior to enactments of upcoming actuarial guidelines, new financial reporting standards or other developments affecting product pricing.
- Lead the Actuarial Support Teams to ensure efficient and robust delivery of all necessary manual calculations and tax filing projects.
- Collaborate with other departments in supporting product questions from both distributors and consumers.
- Assist in evaluating emerging opportunities and challenges that impact the Life Division, specifically in regards to new distribution opportunities, new underwriting methods, reinsurance opportunities, emerging risks, and changes in regulation.
- Ensure documentation and formal reports are prepared in accordance with Actuarial Standards of Practice and appropriately consider Legal and Compliance input. Develop strong documentation practices within the team.
- Maintain strong knowledge of industry issues including economic, regulatory and competitive environments.
- Recruit, develop and retain a qualified staff to perform pricing and implementation functions. Create and maintain a departmental environment which embraces the corporate shared values, Sammons Leadership Series (SLS) principles, a Sammons First mindset and emphasizes Future Focus competency standards.
- Meet and document the continuing education requirements promulgated by the Society of Actuaries and the American Academy of Actuaries for making public statements of actuarial opinion. Support the ongoing professional development of team members.
- Drive and reinforce commitment to internal controls processes such as those under Model Audit Rule and Record Information Management.
- Commitment to embrace Sammons Financial Group Companies shared values (Respect, Accountability, Integrity, and Openness)
- As stated within the Company Attendance and Punctuality policy, regular attendance is required and expected in order to meet the business service levels and workflow demands.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics, Business or Actuarial Science with a high level of demonstrated mathematical ability required
- Minimum 10 years' experience in the life insurance industry required
- Minimum 5 years' management experience with ability to develop talent, including managers required
- Minimum 5 years' Life insurance actuarial experience required
- Effective leadership, decision-making and motivational skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead through change and deliver results by developing and implementing strategy
- Demonstrated success in innovation and creative problem solving;
- Strong interpersonal skills for relationship building and engagement
- Excellent communication skills, including oral and written, for all levels of management
- Strong analytical skills; forward thinking; ability to anticipate and direct the analysis of problems/questions and provide recommendations to appropriate audiences
- Solid understanding of the insurance industry, financial statements (GAAP and STAT), financial metrics, stochastic modeling, underwriting methods and tools, marketing distribution and other operational duties necessary to perform proficiently in this role
- Highly organized with the demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple projects and to switch priorities as necessary
- Ability to work effectively in an office environment
- Due to the financial nature and level of accountability of this position, a credit and criminal background check is required - The Fair Credit Reporting Act requires Sammons Financial Group Companies to notify you that, as a routine part of processing this application for employment, Sammons Financial Group may request a consumer report on you to verify all information contained in this application. Such report may include information about work-related behaviors, performance, character, general reputation, and personal characteristics, in addition to information about your previous employment, education, credit history and criminal records
Licenses and Certifications:
- FSA required
- MAAA required