The AVP of IT Application Development will be responsible for the oversight and management of all information management and software development activities. This position requires a high-degree of IT and Product/Project acumen in an Insurance setting. This position is responsible for the health, scalability and usability of all business facing applications, and calls for the ownership of applications and platforms through their full life cycle. The position requires relationships to be established and maintained vertically and horizontally across the enterprise and with corporate partners.
Essential Job Functions
- Reports directly to the Chief Information Officer, and aligns tightly with Business and IT Leadership to understand organizational goals and define product roadmaps/lifecycles and program goals/strategies based on market and customer needs.
- Partners with the business community in support of marketing and administrative initiatives. Brings knowledge of technology solutions to Sr. Management for consideration in supporting growth and efficiency of operations.
- Responsible for managing development team in support of business users and key corporate initiatives
- New Insurance products
- Enterprise Applications
- Company Websites
- Self-service Customer Portals
- Integration of 3rd Party Solutions
- Information Management, Data Warehousing and Reporting
- Provides comparative analysis during the selection phase to Senior Management documenting options, pro?s/con?s and ROI.
- Maintains future state systems architecture and the approved technology stack for all development activities and system / software acquisitions
- Partners with established Project Managers in deliver of systems conversions, version upgrades, etc.
- Meets minimum requirements as established through internal and external audits
- Responsible for establishing and managing the IT Development activities within defined control framework and best practices
- Ensures appropriate framework/controls are established relating to IT security and prevention of risk to the organization
- Responsible for managing third party vendors including contract execution and pricing negotiation.
- Maintains knowledge of latest technologies associated with essential practices and business systems.
- Responsible for staffing, leading and developing IT managers/directors.
- Performs internal and external market analysis and identifies business, product and technical trends
- Performs gap analysis between current product features and target product features
- Interfaces with Business and IT Leadership to provide performance metrics and measures to demonstrate operational effectiveness of each application team/area
Product Capabilities and Solutions:
- Demonstrate awareness of other enterprise products that may overlap with and/or impact products or applications (Data Warehouse, Integration Engines, IT Operations Platforms)
- Demonstrate understanding of applicable architectures (e.g., integration, data, application, security) and develop solution options that integrate and align with them
- Define product requirements (functional and non-functional) to align with and support business strategy/direction and product strategy and vision
- Anticipates organizational scalability implications and ensures inclusion in product solutions
Design and Document Technical Specifications:
- Identify/define all applications impacted by technical product requirements/solutions, and ensure appropriate integration into overall product specifications
- Ensures that technical specifications/design documents optimize product/software performance and addresses scalability, availability, reliability, recoverability and usability
- Ensures that non-functional and operational requirements are addressed in product solutions (e.g., SLAs, performance requirements, performance guarantees)
- Ensures optimal application configurability and automation to support multiple business models and technical platforms
- Ensures completion of documentation on technical product features/designs and submits for review/approval by applicable stakeholders (e.g., architecture committee/council)
- Adheres to applicable enterprise development methodologies and processes (e.g., Scrum, Agile, Waterfall, Iterative, EPMO)
- Perform risk assessments with mitigation plans to ensure continuity/consistency/compatibility with existing solutions, and communicate to stakeholders
Deploy/Maintain/Manage Product Software Solutions:
- Provide or support development of release documentation to applicable groups (e.g., release notes, change requests)
- Ensures that the team deployment process is compliant with all operational requirements for the product/software
- Communicates and ensures full understanding of product/software changes by applicable groups in order to facilitate ongoing stability
- Provides expertise to applicable support groups (e.g., Systems Support, Help Desk) in order to address identified product/software problems/issues
- Ensures that product/software updates adhere to security standards
- Ensures that all applications are incorporated into organizational ITSM platforms at multiple levels
- Ensures proper data governance standards are met for the definition, classification, integrity, storage and access to company data
- Develops and maintains appropriate data tiers for operational systems, services, integrations, data staging, data warehousing and reporting
- Ensures proper controls for data security, accuracy, timeliness and availability of data for reporting and third-party integrations
- Ensures best practices are implemented in the design of warehousing and reporting tiers to support insurance operational, financial, production and compliance reporting; including support for administrative insurance operations (e.g., point in time reporting, out of sequence transactions, etc.)
- Bachelor of Science degree in Information Systems, Business Administration, or a related field required. (8 additional years of comparable work experience beyond the requiredyears of experience may be substituted in lieu of a bachelor?s degree)
- 10 or more years of progressive management experience in IT application development/product management and information management within the Insurance / Financial Services Industries
- 5+ years of experience in a software development environment, primarily on the .Net platform (C#, Asp.Net, Asp.Mvc, Web Api, WCF).
- Experience with Web Development Tools (Sharepoint, HTML, etc.)
- Experience with a major version control system (such as GIT, Perforce, TFS, or SVN).
- Experience with Database development and management
- Experience with ETL, reporting and BI Tools (SSIS, SSRS, Cognos SAS, etc.)
- Familiarity with Mainframe Technologies and Insurance Applications
- Ability to develop short and long range IT Strategies
- Understanding of financial and operational reporting with analytical skills to promote process improvement
- Problem solving capabilities resulting in significant business impact and customer satisfaction. Detail-oriented and ability to identify potential risk or problems and find resolution
- Ability to interact and consult effectively with all levels of business partners including executive management. Must be able to interpret data and formulate into presentations to make executive level recommendations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications to include Project, Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Excellent teaming and people leadership skills
- Excellent written and oral skills