Marketing Evolution is a place where innovative marketing minds, advanced data science, and visionary technology meet. We offer software and strategic consulting services to help marketers plan, measure, and continuously improve their performance and unlock ROI.
The AVP Media will provide leadership and subject matter expertise to the company in three ways:
- The AVP Media will partner with our Customer Success team to add deep expertise in media strategy, planning and activation in order to create buy in and adoption of Marketing Evolution’s ROI Brain campaign optimization and long range planning tools. The AVP Media will join Customer Success in partnering with our marketer customers and their agencies to meet more complex challenges.
- Position will be a leader in a Center of Excellence that provides thought leadership, best practices, and training to deliver on both current customer needs and a proactive future vision for campaign optimization and data-driven media planning.
- Thought leadership: being able to anticipate what’s new and what’s next both in terms of our customer’s specific stated needs, as well as anticipating developing measurement needs in the broader media ecosystem proactively.
- Best Practices: the AVP Media needs to have a solid understanding of the dynamics of all media, the strengths and shortfalls of current media measurement systems; keep current on complementary software tools in the arena of marketing modeling, creative assessment and brand health metrics
- Training: the AVP Media will create training for all internal constituents, from sales to software engineers, to impart technical knowledge of current media practice, as well as representing the needs of the media planner/buyer in terms of our software development and future state.
3. Position will be part of the Product Development team, with a significant opportunity to contribute to the further progression of our industry-transforming software. Long term career opportunities are highly varied, whether product strategy and innovation, customer success, or further evolution as a media SME.
The AVP Media will work across business sectors with multiple Fortune 1000 customers; with our Customer Success team, the product team (developers/engineers, M&A, and operations) and the ETL team (data ingestion). The role that of advocating for the needs of the end user, and what will meet and exceed customer needs and generate superior business results for our customer brands. The AVP Media will lead both a small media team but more importantly be able to bring leadership and expertise to cross functional teams.
Experience and capabilities:
- 10-15 years in media, either exclusively agency or a mix of client/agency:
- At least 5 years in agency strategy/planning, with achievement of leadership levels (Associate Media Director or higher)
- A mix of planning, analytics and buying experience is ideal
- Deep experience in television (national and local) and digital strategy and planning (site direct, biddable media, display, high impact and video)
- Experience planning or buying magazine, out of home, radio and newspapers is also needed.
- Planning leadership experience across multiple vertical categories. We are active in CPG, retail, financial, pharma, automotive, entertainment, telecommunications and others. Category specialization is not desirable in this particular position.
- Hands on experience in buying television and/or digital is a plus
- Experience managing or planning upfront TV
- Experience on a variety of brand budgets, from $10MM to over $100MM per brand
- Hands on experience with incorporating customer data into media decision-making. Knows how to “connect the dots”
- The ideal candidate will have a well honed personal philosophy and belief system in terms of “how advertising works”. A lifelong student who is curious to peek beneath the hood of vendor presentations, who has to understand the math behind a recommendation.
- A passion for doing the work, deep seated curiosity and a proven tendency for lifelong learning
- Dynamic, inspiring ability to communicate and present, with a superior ability to convey both information and inspiration.
- Capable of balancing rolling-up-sleeves to get work done (i.e., has the desire and ability to get “hands on”) with delegation so that team member has clear roles, responsibilities, and is held accountable to our high standards
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and “big picture” to help customers solve their toughest marketing and business challenges. But willing and happy to roll up sleeves and ‘get in the weeds’ to make sure that the work is the best that it can be.
- Strives to be a positive mentor / coach and role model to their team members, playing an active role in developing the skills of others
- Ability to build “trusted advisor” relationships with VP level and higher executives at Fortune 500 customers by demonstrating thought leadership in research, analytic, marketing, media and category knowledge
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex sets of data and information and turn them into actionable insights. Commitment to flawless execution and ability to “see” anomalies and deliver exceptional excellence.
- Expertise with Microsoft Excel (advanced versions) and PowerPoint. Familiarity and comfort with advanced project management systems like Jira and Confluence
- An ongoing desire to see beyond the task at hand, be creative, and bring new ideas to the table to improve the overall data management and analytics process
- Strong desire and appreciation for being part of a growing team that:
- Supports one another and works as partners
- Strives to go the extra mile and over-achieve
- Recognizes and rewards strong performers
- Is committed to company and personal growth and development
- Degree in marketing or advertising necessary; graduate work/degree desirable
- Must be able and willing to “get into the weeds” when issues arise AND provide a “big picture” view
- Oversee the team delivering the project to ensure all work is delivered at the highest quality and on time
- Ensure overall budget stays on track and help manage customer expectations
- Partner with Director to evaluate when to sit in key meetings/potentially lead key conversations when it is appropriate
- Promote and support flawless execution by the team
- Ability to effectively work in cross-functional peer environments by making one’s place at the table and leading by example
Metrics for Success
- All employees have annual career growth goals based on their position and core skills/development areas; Analysts (and all Customer Success team members) receive project-based performance reviews quarterly, and career reviews bi-annually
- Customer satisfaction and the ability to form long-lasting customer relationships is a measure of success for our entire company
- Ability to recognize and implement strategies or processes to improve efficiency, while maintaining flawless project execution
Marketing Evolution Culture and Values
We seek candidates who are excited to work at a company with the following cultural values:
- Disrupt the norm: Cherish the opportunity to find better ways to do things, regardless of how disruptive or initially painful it might be.
- Dissent then execute: Raise issues and fixes in the planning stage, but when it’s time to execute, execute diligently and without reservation.
- Test and learn: When developing new processes or features, link it to a hypothesis, and evaluate that hypothesis without bias.
- Nothing is impossible: Imagine what’s possible and then have the discipline to execute it. One without the other is not valuable.
- Defect is treasure: Every mistake is an opportunity for the organization to learn and make improvements.
- Share success: Given how hard it is to promote change in our industry, celebrate each success along the way.