Unum’s Employment Law team seeks a highly experienced employment attorney who is solution-oriented, consultative in approach, and an expert in the FMLA, state paid leave laws, and the ADA. The ideal candidate will have strong presentation skills and is adept at summarizing and communicating complex information effectively and efficiently to business partners, insurance brokers, customers, and prospective customers.
As AVP & Counsel you will be part of the team responsible for providing legal support to Unum’s Absence Management Center which handles leave requests for hundreds of employer customers throughout the United States. In this role you will also support the sale of absence management services through presentations to brokers, customers, and prospective customers. You will also be part of the team that provides daily legal support to Unum’s Human Resources department. You will have the opportunity to work with colleagues in a variety of functions across the enterprise, providing an excellent opportunity to learn about all aspects of Unum’s business, enhance legal and leadership skills, and develop an industry-wide perspective. As an AVP & Counsel you are required to act with the highest ethical standards and are responsible for staying current on the external environment and changes to the law impacting our businesses.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Enforces and defends Company’s interests in litigation and disputed matters; selects, assists and supervises outside counsel.
- Handles legal aspects of insurance regulatory matters pertaining to such diverse areas as market conduct examinations, rate and form filings and approvals, acquisitions and divestitures.
- Provides legal support to designated business units, manages workflow from and relationships with all levels of management of each unit.
- Prepares legally binding documents; drafts, negotiates and develops complex contracts and forms; may be responsible for state filings, approvals of contracts, rates and marketing materials, and systems implementation.
- May manage and develop a small-medium sized team of legal support personnel to assure that excellent, timely and business sensitive legal support is provided to the corporation and to business clients, in furtherance of business goals and priorities.
- Monitors and keeps legal management team apprised of and solicits their input as appropriate on significant legal issues.
- Analyzes and formulates company’s position on legislation/regulations.
- Serves as a legal advisor to business units responsible for litigation, product development, claims, underwriting, sales, distribution, corporate, and marketing initiatives (etc.) for all product lines offered by all domestic (U.S.) companies.
- Incorporates and applies ERISA, federal and state tax laws and regulations, insurance laws and regulations, and employee benefit laws affecting insurance, as well as new and emerging areas of the law like e-commerce and privacy, to business plans and objectives.
- Identifies law-related training needs of Company personnel; develops and delivers training through various mechanisms including written materials, classroom and staff presentations.
- Ensures that all business clients give appropriate attention to the Code of Conduct.
- Ensures development and maintenance of support staff (paralegals).
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- J.D. (law degree) plus admission to practice law in at least one jurisdiction.
- A minimum of five years of experience handling matters involving the FMLA, ADA and state leave laws.
- Extensive knowledge of the state and federal leave laws and regulations and the ADA.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities including ability to build effective working relationships with key constituents among a variety of stakeholders.
- Insurance product knowledge preferred.
- Strong leadership skills, including strategic planning and project management preferred.
- Strong people and change management skills preferred.
- The ability to understand multiple technology applications preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to include strong presentation skills.
- Ability to travel occasionally within the United States.