Alternate Locations: Atlanta, GA (Georgia); Boston, MA (Massachusetts); Dover, NH (New Hampshire); Omaha, NE (Nebraska)
Relocation assistance is not available for this opportunity.
About the Company
Lincoln Financial Group, a Fortune 250 company with over 10,000 employees, provides advice and solutions that help empower Americans to take charge of their financial lives with confidence. Our core business areas — Life Insurance, Annuities, Retirement Plan Services and Group Protection — focus on supporting, preserving and enhancing over 17 million customer's lifestyles and retirement outcomes.
Headquartered in Radnor, Pennsylvania, Lincoln Financial Group is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE: LNC) and its affiliates. The company had $238 billion in assets under management as of December 31, 2018.
Ranked one of the Best Large Employers in America by Forbes magazine, Lincoln Financial Group makes a serious investment in our employees' futures through a broad range of wealth accumulation and protection plans, health and wellness programs, and career development resources designed to help each individual reach their personal and professional goals.
GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB
This position is responsible for developing and executing strategic financial plans that enhance the operational impact and profitability of underwriting activities. S/he is responsible for overseeing the Underwriting Support team, the Underwriting Analytics team and the Medical Underwriting team which includes setting priorities, implementing and communicating key goals and tracking performance to ensure departmental success.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains knowledge on current and emerging developments/trends for assigned area(s) of responsibility, assesses the impact, and collaborates with senior management to incorporate new trends and developments in current and future strategies.
- Directs and enhances organizational initiatives by positively influencing and supporting change management and/or departmental/enterprise initiatives within assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Identifies and directs strategic process improvements that significantly reduce workloads or improve quality across the team, department and/or business unit for assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Directs, establishes and maintains processes to analyze information with the goal of driving execution of profitability targets and other financial goals within Underwriting
- Provides subject matter expertise to team members and internal/external stakeholders on complex assignments/projects for his/her assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Provides training and development opportunities, including stretch assignments, for team members and gives honest and open feedback to aid in the development of talent.
- Directs, establishes and implements priorities, performance goals and objectives to ensure departmental results for his/her assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Directs and evaluates departmental performance and takes appropriate action to meet and/or exceed performance standards for assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Provides strategic leadership and direction to continually improve the capability and results for his/her assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Directs/executes approved strategy decisions and contributes to strategy creation for assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Ensures that top talent is hired and retained for his/her assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Builds organizational capability within his/her assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Supports underwriting strategies which comprises appropriate risk and profitability targets and an assessment of overall operational impact(s).
- Builds and maintains relationships with internal stakeholders (i.e. Distribution, Claims and Compliance teams).
- Directs the alignment and prioritization of underwriting activities to the business plan profitability strategy for his/her assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Identifies barriers to team performance and proactively and collaboratively develops remediation plans to enhance departmental performance.
- Constructs proactively and recommends to senior leaders well-defined solutions and process improvements.
- Provides leadership and collaboration on projects and ensures those initiatives are fully instituted in the underwriting strategy, guidelines and procedures.
- Develops and maintains underwriting process documentation as it relates to his/her areas of accountability.
- Represents and presents on various underwriting topics at industry and marketing meetings.
- Partners with other operational areas to establish appropriate customization strategies and to achieve underwriting objectives.
- Effectively communicates, negotiates and influences outcomes with varied constituents (with heavy emphasis on distribution partners).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 4 Year/Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience (4 years of experience in lieu of Bachelor's) (Minimum Required)
- 3 - 5+ Years of managerial, supervisory, and/or demonstrated leadership experience including influencing senior management/critical stakeholders experience. (Required)
- 10+ Years Deep underwriting experience in group life and disability products. (Required)