Global Strategy advises MetLife’s top executive officers (the EG) and works in partnership with the Regional businesses. Functioning as in-house strategic and operational consultants, the group is responsible for leading programs that define, communicate, and support the execution of business strategies and initiatives globally.
We are looking to attract the next generation of talent to drive the successful execution of MetLife’s Next Horizon strategy and keep the company on a path to strengthen our customer focus and accelerate innovation. Individuals on this team can expect to get an unparalleled view into the breadth of the company’s business while deep diving into several different areas through specific projects. We expect team members will eventually progress their careers within the business in any number of high-impact roles across MetLife.
Reporting directly to the VP of Global Strategy, the AVP Global Strategy, will focus on organizational transformation, working to enable senior leaders across the enterprise to Win the Future through ownership, execution, and evolution of Next Horizon strategy and market-specific goals.
- Scope, define and coordinate major elements of our Next Horizon strategy and other strategic business initiatives with clear alignment to our three primary strategic imperatives to Focus, Simplify, and Differentiate
- Provide deep and ongoing evaluation of the opportunities and threats from current and future competitors and partners; direct the research and monitoring of environmental forces, market, regulatory, and industry trends; identify opportunities, risk, or recommended changes to strategy as necessary
- Lead or work on global cross-functional teams to evaluate, provide insight, and drive strategic outcomes for maximum impact; enable the transfer of strategic ideas into operational decisions and actions
- Lead the structuring, implementation and launch of key Next Horizon initiatives, such as new product or service launches
- Partner with key stakeholders in Communications, HR, etc. to design effective communication of strategies to constituents, including the EG and other senior executives, company employees, and external stakeholders
- Provide expertise to regional teams to help adapt global strategies and processes to local markets, as well as align bottoms-up strategies with enterprise initiatives; share best practices to tackle inefficiencies and enable speed of execution
- Drive and embed Agile, experimentation, and innovative ways of working across the enterprise
- Reports to: Vice President, Global Strategy
- Direct reports/team: No direct reports
- Key Stakeholders: CEO, Global Strategy SLT, Executive Group members, regional leaders and local country managers.
- 5+ years of experience defining, communicating, and delivering on strategy and operational initiatives to drive business growth with a top tier consulting firm
- Degree in Finance, Business, Economics preferred; higher degree MBA/MS a big plus
- Prior insurance or retail financial services experience is a plus but not mandatory
- Adept at operating in a matrixed environment, building alignment and delivering together
- Strong results orientation, sound business judgment, and understanding of P&L levers and opportunities to optimize value
- Ability to inspire a shared vision and motivate others to achieve aggressive metrics and objectives
- Superior communication, interpersonal, influencing, and negotiation skills, including ability to flex style to fit audience
- Demonstrated success working with diverse stakeholders toward team solutions, including ability to establish and gain agreement on strategic direction
- Flexibility to work with different time zones. Minimum travel required
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Achieving results:
- Thinks strategically and has strong execution capabilities
- Demonstrates strong analytical approach to solving problems
- Drives to synthesis and develops recommendations. High degree of comfort with ambiguity
- Leads and implements strategic growth initiatives from concept development through business case development
- Possesses strong project management capabilities with ability to manage multiple priorities
- Shows business maturity, has strong presence and possess advanced written and verbal communication skills
- Building relationships:
- Manages change effectively and has proven ability to lead through influence and drive results through others in a highly matrixed environment
- Builds teams, is inclusive by nature
- Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Planning for the future:
- Drives and embeds Agile, experimentation, and innovative ways of working across the enterprise
- Seeks new opportunities and ways to create balanced business growth while improving operational capabilities.
- Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
MetLife Success Principles
- Experiment with Confidence – Courageously learn and test new ideas without fear of failure
- Act with Urgency – Demonstrate speed to action with agility and determination
- Seek Diverse Perspectives – Source ideas and feedback to expand thinking and make informed decisions
- Seize Opportunity – Drive responsible growth and identify areas for continuous improvement
- Champion Inclusion – Foster an environment where everyone is valued, heard, and can speak up
- Create Alignment – Partner with others across the organization with candor and transparency
- Take Responsibility – Be accountable and act in pursuit of the right outcomes
- Enable Solutions – Anticipate and address obstacles while managing risk
- Deliver What Matters – Execute meaningful priorities and follow through on commitments