*Competitive compensation with opportunities for annual raises, promotions, and bonus potential
*Best-in-Class Benefits! (7% 401k match / Pension plan / Tuition reimbursement / Great insurance options)
*On-site amenities include fitness center, wellness center, cafeteria, etc. at Pensacola, FL; Vienna, VA and Winchester, VA campuses
*Consistently Awarded Top Workplace
*Nationally recognized training department by TRAINING Magazine
*An employee-focused, diverse, and service-oriented workplace environment
To direct and manage the financial accounting processes for the credit union to include: financial accounting, investor reporting, general ledger, and accounts payable functions, and enforcing established internal controls and policies. To review the financial operations of NFFG and its subsidiaries and oversee/approve the preparation of its consolidated financial statements.
1. Directs and administers a plan for control of financial accounting operations for Navy Federal and all its subsidiaries.
- Establishes major accounting objectives and policies and advises senior management on accounting issues
- Ensures the proper classification, reconciliation and reporting of the organization's funds and financial transactions; oversees the accounting of cash at branches, ATMs, Vaults, deposits in transit and banks
- Monitors financial performance and reporting of the Navy Federal Financial Group (NFFG) and its subsidiaries; attends NFFG/NFBS board meetings and oversees the preparation and accuracy consolidated financial statements
- Oversees the management of investor funds and ensures accurate accounting and reporting of secondary market mortgage activities
- Prepares and analyzes loan loss data and ensures the adequacy of the Allowance for Loan and Lease Losses
2. Develops new programs, procedures and automated solutions for streamlining and improving financial accounting methods and report production.
- Evaluates financial and technical impact of new products and services, and manages collaboration with project/change management teams
- Collaborates with Financial Systems group to coordinate functional requirements for new or enhanced systems
- Directs implementation of new procedures and automated processes related to financial planning, maintenance of accurate accounting records (general ledger), and related systems
- Ensures the maintenance of complete and current documentation of the general ledger processes and system interfaces
3. Enforces, monitors and maintains internal accounting controls and policies.
- Manages the implementation of internal controls to ensure financial transactions are properly classified, recorded, reconciled and reported
- Directs the maintenance of the general ledger system and ensures compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Maintains awareness of FASB developments, anticipates effect on Navy Federal accounting procedure and recommends application to internal practices and systems
- Participates in financial and investor reporting audits; interacts with internal and external auditors, and NCUA examiners
4. Performs managerial supervision
- Ensures adequate staffing, conducts/approves performance appraisals; oversees employee training and development, recommends disciplinary actions, and counsels employees
- Participates in the development of/recommends short and long-term goals and objectives; directs the implementation of goals and priorities by overseeing/managing projects that cross departmental lines
- Makes budgetary recommendations regarding equipment and staffing needs; oversees the preparation and execution of the branch Annual Financial Plan
5. Performs other related duties as required or appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or the equivalent combination of training, education, and experience
- In-depth/substantial experience in financial accounting and management, and demonstrated skill in leading and controlling a multi-function corporate operation
- Knowledge of and ability to effectively interpret and apply Statements of Financial Accounting Standards (SFAS) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Strong organization skills and the ability to produce desired results and achieve objectives
- Strong research, analysis, and problem solving skills
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of staff and external contacts
- Proficiency with PCs word processing, spreadsheet, database applications, and reporting software
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Certified Public Account
- Experience and familiarity with implementing automated financial accounting systems
- Thorough knowledge of Navy Federal policies, products, and services, and familiarity with internal operations, systems and functions