About Oaktree’s Corporate Communications & Branding Department
The Corporate Communications & Branding Department is responsible for
Oaktree’s global marketing-communications activities. This includes ensuring that the firm’s communications and branding strategies are integrated, coordinated and aligned across all channels and key stakeholders. The team works closely with the firm’s CPO/Head of Client Relations, global and regional Marketing leadership, Product Management leadership, Executive Committee and portfolio management leadership to deliver the communications and branding activities needed to help drive the firm’s growth initiatives. Such activities shall relate to the design, creation and/or maintenance of: Firm-related content and collateral, web and social media assets, thought leadership campaigns (e.g., “Insights”), internal and external communication strategies, media, and live and virtual events.
Scope and Responsibilities
Based in downtown Los Angeles, the AVP, Events will serve as a member of the Corporate Communications & Branding Department and will support the production and marketing of Oaktree-hosted live and virtual events globally. Events include regular LP Update webcasts, global and regional client conferences of 30-600 attendees, fund update webcasts, and fund marketing webcasts among other initiatives.
- Employ technology-based and strategic expertise to mold the future of the Oaktree event experience.
- Support the visual expression and personality of the firm’s brand across events and webcasts.
- Work with product specialists to determine priorities across strategy initiatives and enforce a “client-centric” discipline to program development.
- Tailor programs and content for different audiences (e.g., internal vs. institutional vs. intermediary distribution, global vs. regional).
- Work with global head of events to strategize a moving-target event plan.
- Manage vendors and draw upon industry relationships to ensure a seamless client journey throughout the event process, from registration to onsite/virtual experience.
- Employ event management and technical expertise to enhance logistical elements and ensure excellence in delivery across live and virtual events, including production schedules, audio-visual and technology; registration; event-level collateral creation; complex menu design within budget; and presenter management.
- Oversee event budgets and negotiate hotel and vendor contracts. Leverage international contractual experience, knowledge of industry costs, and industry relationships to deliver a best-in-class experience within budget.
- Manage compilation and deliver ROI reports across event initiatives with ability to demonstrate business impact globally.
- Determine and develop comprehensive event staffing plan and manage temporary staff composed of internal stakeholders and third-party partners.
- Work in partnership with key stakeholders to drive event processes and goals, including product specialists, portfolio managers, sales staff, corporate communications, legal and compliance associates.
- Develop documentation and other forms of internal education to support efficiency within the department. Manage and train junior event temps.
- Maintain an understanding of compliance requirements and advertising guidelines to ensure marketing activities adhere to such. Determine solutions to streamline compliance processes to keep pace with growing digital outreach.
- Maintain network of industry peers and keep a pulse on emerging technologies across events, webcasts and digital campaigns.
- Oversee virtual event processes and determine areas for automation and creative outsourcing. Manage and engage offshore team across event projects.
- Recommend and develop biennial conference project plan, utilizing skills and knowledge of project management software to streamline and automate where possible.
- Streamline internal and external communications around events and webcasts.
- Contribute to strategic integration of the CRM with event/webcast platforms to create actionable data for lead generation.
- Manage event analytics and reporting across events and webcasts.
- Anticipate project needs, navigate obstacles and negotiate changes in project priorities, timing and/or scope.
- 8-10 years’ experience as an event manager or similar role with proven expertise in leading complex events from inception to delivery
- Experience in global investment management with general understanding of compliance regulations
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Proficiency in Cvent event registration software
- Experience managing livestream events
- Technical experience in broadcast production a plus
- Excellent strategic thinking and critical thinking skills
- Event staff management expertise
- Ability to innovate and adapt, pivoting and determining solutions to support business goals in a new event environment
- Exceptional project management and process development skills
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, including chart, graph and pivot table development
- Awareness of latest trends in live and virtual event management
- Ability to travel 1-3 weeks per year to oversee programming activities (post-pandemic)
- Ability to demonstrate strong leadership skills
- Excellent time management and problem-solving skills
- Must have outstanding initiative and be a self-starter
- Capacity to demonstrate non-linear thinking and have excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and deadlines
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to quickly adapt with changing/competing priorities
- Collaborative and team-oriented with a strong sense of integrity and professionalism
- Ability to excel in a demanding, fast-paced environment while maintaining the highest quality standards
Bachelor’s degree required.