Residing within the company’s Group Benefits (GB) business unit, this AVP position is responsible for playing a strategic and leadership role in developing and articulating the evolving, business aligned data and analytics strategy to our Distribution and Account Management stakeholders. This position works closely with senior management to identify high value business opportunities and champion data & analytics solutions as a central decision-making resource to increase company performance and gain competitive advantage. This role will focus on improving results across all segments, products, and channels focusing on Distribution and Account Management functions.
This position will work with all Distribution and Account Management functional units, other key partners and IT leaders to identify, prioritize, execute, and communicate the results of high value data analytics projects. This leader will play a highly visible role in promoting a data & analytics-driven culture across Group Benefits, aligned with business strategies from management. He or she will act as a key leader to execute on their data strategies and identify new insights and opportunities.
Also, this position will lead on identifying and executing on data, reporting and business analytics initiatives that impact our distribution strategies, achieving clear financial goals that are embedded in our multi-year financial plan. The accountability for this position extends to have the business acumen and leadership to connect key analytics findings to appropriate actions, working with key leaders across the business to ensure with consistency and effectively actioning for impact to achieve the desired goals.
This leadership role reports directly to the Vice President, Data Reporting and Business Analytics. The position will closely interface on a cross-functional basis throughout Group Benefits leadership to articulate and align the Business Analytics vision.
- Represent Group Benefits on data and analytics initiatives to help create a business analytics program that focuses on data integrity, value added analysis, and democratization of data and insights
- Manage senior level business relationships partnering closely with technology, Enterprise Analytics, and others to ensure an integrated approach
- Work with business units to define and prioritize high value data & analytics projects and opportunities
- Lead business intelligence projects by filtering and translating business questions and problems into structured analysis, reports, and tools.
- Recommend new or modified ways of aggregating, splitting or otherwise transforming management information which may yield novel business insights
- Build out a defined team/organization to execute on Group Benefits data & analytics distribution priorities
- Lead analytics delivery and partner with technical execution teams to architect and support leading metrics’ production processes, infrastructure, and deliverables
- Develop innovative approaches to linking internal data to external data identifying trends and opportunities and articulate to key business stakeholders
- Defines roles, responsibilities and establishes direct accountabilities for reporting staff to ensure consistency of operations using analytical and reporting tools and practices.
- Executes Performance Management cycle responsibilities (reviews, salaries and incentives). Formulates development plans and roadmaps for new and incumbent staff to help them succeed at their job responsibilities.
- Strong knowledge of the economics of commercial insurance (required) as well as of sales and underwriting channels, segments, operations, metrics / KPIs and operational processes (preferred).
- Very good understanding of analytical and data management methods.
- Strong interest in and experience with using technology to effect process improvements
- Proven ability to link business service objectives with appropriate reporting and monitoring tools.
- Ability to influence organizational change
- Ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders, developing and executing value added analytics communication strategy while being able to accomplish day-today tactical activities
- Proactively takes lead in building and leveraging relationships internally and externally
- Ability to build and lead teams encompassing highly technical resources
- Very strong ability to communicate and present to senior and executive level management
- 12-15+ years’ experience in database, data architecture, data management, analytics or business intelligence with progressive management experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced quantitative analysis degree, or additional financial professional designation preferred but not required
- Experience within a commercial group insurance organization is required
- Experience with data modeling, relational databases and reporting, including demonstrated experience in a variety of disciplines
- Experience in managing staff in a virtual environment, implementing and managing reporting capabilities for a virtual work environment.
- United States – Continental US | Bethlehem, PA | Holmdel, NJ | Appleton, WI
- Approximately 10%, depending on work location