Role Value Proposition:
At MetLife, we don’t just sell insurance. We help build a more protected world for our customers and society at large. Our tag line, “navigating life together,” reinforces the role we play with our customers as trusted advisors to help navigate the twists and turns in their lives. This communications role provides the opportunity to drive greater understanding of who we are as a brand externally and supporting broader adoption of the brand internally.
MetLife is in the midst of a corporate transformation from a sales-led culture to one that is customer and insight led. With this transformation has come an evolution in marketing, with new capabilities, enhanced analytical and creative skills and a new role to play in the organization. It’s an exciting time to join our team and help tell the story of marketing’s evolution and the impact it’s driving within the organization more broadly.
As the Assistant Vice President supporting Global Brand and Marketing (GBM), you will help drive visibility, relevance and recognition for the MetLife brand globally, generating both internal and external understanding of the value added by marketing. This role requires fluency in the language of both marketers and business leaders and an instinct for identifying a compelling story and knowing how to connect relevant audiences to this narrative.
In this role, you’ll work in close proximity to and have direct visibility to key senior leaders across the marketing functions, including the global and regional Chief Marketing Officers as well as their leadership teams. Externally, your key stakeholders will include the marketing and general interest media.
We’re looking for an individual with a keen attention to detail and the motivation to consistently provide quality work. This individual should be capable of blending big creative ideas with analytical skills, and have the ability to influence and counsel in a collaborative and matrix environment. This position reports to the Vice President of Communications for the U.S. and GBM and manages PR agency resources.
In sum, we’re looking for a genuine storyteller who is adept at listening and partnering with key senior leaders to develop, manage and execute communication strategies that are fresh, interactive and fun.
- Develop and execute strategic internal and external communications programs to support MetLife marketing and the MetLife brand
- Provide communications counsel to business leaders and develop leadership communications for the CMO and other marketing leaders
- Develop a narrative for MetLife’s marketing story and identify opportunities in which that story can be featured
- Establish effective communications platforms and processes for Global Brand Marketing to drive internal and external awareness and engagement
- Integrate with the marketing team to develop holistic marketing communications campaigns
- Deliver media coverage and activate internal and external communications channels
- Supervise external agency and manage related budgets
- Simplify complex strategies and make them understandable and relevant to a variety of audiences
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10 years of experience in communications and/or public relations
- 5 years of experience working in consumer brands
- 5 years of experience with traditional media, social media and new media channels with demonstrated results using them internally and externally to engage stakeholders
- 5 years of experience leading global business or working in a global environment
- Track record of success in executing integrated communications programs and working with other marketing disciplines
- Professional approach to working with senior level executives and providing counsel on communications issues
- Strong and effective writing skills
- Sound judgment as a communications professional
- High proficiency in written and verbal communication
- High energy and strong work ethic
- Positive attitude and willingness to take initiative, share perspectives and make things happen
- Passion for media relations
- Agency experience a plus
- Thinks Strategically – Sets direction aligned to the company’s strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Motivates People – Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company’s vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
- Creates Partnerships – Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Seizes Opportunity – Seeks new opportunities and ways to create balanced business growth while improving operational capabilities.
- Focuses on Customers – Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Reports to: VP, Communications
- Direct reports/team: No direct reports
- Key Stakeholders: Global Chief Marketing Officer, Regional Chief Marketing Officers