We have an exciting opportunity availabe for an AVP, Casualty at Selective Insurance! This role will work closely with regional partners to grow profitable business. They will also act as line of business expert in commercial automobile, general liability and umbrella – from both an underwriting and business perspective - to assist regional personnel and agents in successfully marketing and underwriting new and existing accounts. The role will identify positive and negative trends while working closely with Claims and Actuarial leadership and will recommend strategies to both corporate underwriting and regional partners to improve performance. It will also be responsible for furthering Selective’s generalist underwriting appetite by demonstrating a willingness and ability to effectively underwrite good accounts in difficult classes of business and to identify additional niche markets. All job duties and responsibilities must be carried out in compliance with applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
- Provide line of business technical expertise to regions and business segment managers to support an underwriting framework that produces profitable business. Works with corporate underwriting, Claims leaders, Actuarial and regional underwriting leaders in developing and distributing new products and strategies.
- Distribute effective marketing materials to regional personnel, agents, and others to assist them in better understanding the value associated with Selective's products and services within assigned business segments. Works with corporate underwriting in developing new marketing materials.
- Oversees activities, workflow, and productivity of line of business analysts for all regions to ensure compliance with company guidelines.
- Develop excellent working relationships with regional personnel to instill a comfort level in requesting assistance in order to explore as many account opportunities from their agents as possible.
- Attend AMS conferences, road shows, sales meetings, etc., to actively promote Selective's products for business segments.
- Support continuous improvement opportunities and ideas across the organization
- Partners with safety management and premium audit to ensure support and exceptional customer service to regional personnel and agents while promoting and developing the production of profitable business.
- Assist the regions with 1) securing additional new business by providing expertise in underwriting and pricing large, unique and/or complex accounts, and 2) identifying creative ways to successfully write unique accounts.
- Works closely with other departments to manage projects on behalf of the line of business.
- Actively participate in all aspects of effective quality control assessments. These may include conducting new and renewal account audits, monitoring, and assessing scorecards, large loss analysis, action plans, etc.
- Must be able to drive an automobile to travel with regional personnel to assist in educating agents and selling accounts on Selective's products and services. Travel represents approximately 20% of employee’s time.
- College degreepreferred.
- 10+ years Commercial Lines Underwriting experience
- The following experience is preferred:
- 5+ years Risk Management and/or reinsurance experience
- 5+ years Field Underwriting, agency or specific line of business experience
- Must be able to lead project teams;
- Excellent customer service, networking and relationship building skills;
- Excellent sales and negotiation skills;
- Strong problem-solving ability, and excellent presentation skills;
- Proven leadership capability; and
- Pro-active, driven and takes initiative.
- Must have valid state-issued driver’s license in good standing and be able to drive an automobile.
Job ID 5699