Responsible for several processes within the Accounting Operations Department. Includes direct or indirect responsibility for the accounting function at the Bank’s subsidiary and holding company, assigned duties within the Accounts Payable area, or for various operational processing within the accounting operations department, such overseeing theaccounting for the investment portfolio, the Bank’s card products, and assisting with the SOX 404 process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
These are the most significant job duties performed. The size, scope and complexity of assigned duties and responsibilities are dependent on the level and experience of the incumbent. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able toperform each assigned essential duty satisfactorily. Other responsibilities or special projects not specifically mentioned may also be assigned.
- May have responsibilities for one or more of the following:
o Direct and indirect responsibility over the accounting processes for the Bank’s subsidiaries and its holding company. In addition, the individual will establish relationship with theaccounting functions at the subsidiaries and serve as theBank’s liaison to ensure consistent application of the Bank’s accounting policies and procedures throughout theorganization.
o Oversee the accounting for the Bank’s investment portfolio, including overseeing the maintenance of the related investment accounting sub-system, accounting for long termand short term borrowing, the investment in small business limited partnership, and the accounting for the Bank’s card portfolio. The individual will also participate in theCompany’s SOX 404 process, including maintenance of theinventory of key controls, coordinating meetings withoperating department related to the key processes, and working with internal and external auditors on compliance and reporting.
o Assist with the Accounts Payable process, including reviewing check batches, assisting with system maintenance, and primary responsibility for the processes and controls surrounding the Bank’s expense reporting credit card system.
- Oversees a variety of other accounting operational processes and related general ledger and bank use accounts. Responsible for reconciling these accounts and working with others inside and outside the department to resolve issues.
- Assists with reviews, annual audits and special projects with theCompany’s internal and external auditors. Serves as a liaison with the external auditors during their annual and quarterly procedures.
- Understands and complies with all Bank policies and procedures, and federal and state laws and regulations pertinent to this position; stays informed and shares updates on changes withmanagement. Required to successfully complete all requiredCompliance training.
- Continuously supports the Bank’s Mission Statement and Core Values.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but may lead thework of others including, but not limited to, guiding, coaching, mentoring, and training newer/less experienced team members.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Work Experience
Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university in accounting; and five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates and Licenses
Certified Public Accountant preferred.
Job –Specific Knowledge
- Finance & Accounting - Basic/Intermediate/Advanced knowledge of accounting principles, bank accounting and general ledgers, operating procedures within accounting/finance area, applicable laws, regulations and practices, financial markets, financial analysis, and reporting of financial data.
- Operational/Regulations Processes - Knowledge on budget administration, resources allocation, organization’s policies, regulations, objectives, and initiatives according to the job’s responsibilities. Ability to establish, conduct and track (audit) operational processes properly, and implement changes.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies.
- Strong Fluency user of Windows applications and Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access.
- Accurately inputs information into and retrieves from the computer.
- Thorough knowledge of software applications applicable toposition/business unit.
- Identifies and resolves problems.
- Demonstrates attention to detail and strong math aptitude.
- Identifies opportunities to increase accuracy and optimize resources and develops / recommends / implements solutions.
- Writes clearly and informatively. Edits work for spelling and grammar.
- Utilizes variety of interpersonal styles and communication methods to effectively adapt to new work structures, processes, or cultures.
Time Management Skills
- Provides timely and professional support to all internal/external customers and vendors.
- Prioritizes regular workload, special tasks and concurrent projects, allocating time and resources to ensure that work is completed accurately and efficiently within established time frame.
- Self-motivated. Works with minimal supervision.
- Consults with Team members and management as needed tocomplete assigned responsibilities.
Leadership Skills (for Manager level)
- Effective organizational, leadership and presentation skills.
- Proven leadership and collaboration skills with the ability toeffectively supervise, coach and influence employees.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and to talk or hear.
The employee is frequently required to sit in a cubicle work space withmoderate noise level during normal business hours with extended hours as needed. Stress levels may increase due to seasonality and/or special projects and/or during peak times.
MB Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.