Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
- Attend and/or facilitate meetings with current and future airport clients.
- Partner with airport staff to develop effective capital improvement programs (CIP).
- Perform design engineering duties including need assessments and justification, preparation of supporting calculations, authoring of engineering reports and technical documentation, and development and review of project bidding documents.
- Perform construction administration duties including shop drawing review, review of contractor payroll and pay applications, evaluating construction progress for compliance with contract documents, and the direction of testing and engineering support personnel and subconsultants.
- Coordinate and communicate field construction activities with client, contractor, and design team.
- Provide technical support aviation planning team members as needed.
- Mentor and offer technical guidance to subordinate designers.
- AutoCAD/Civil 3D proficiencies.
- Thorough knowledge of and the ability to apply Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Advisory Circular criteria, and other related FAA guidance.
- Experience and the ability to practice productively in an airport environment, aviation industry.
- Familiarity with navigation on an airfield and common airport driving and safety protocols.
- Department of Transportation project experience (IL, IN, OH, KY, TN and/or MO) and familiarity with and an established professional network within the respective DOT-Aviation/Aeronautics offices.
- Effective written and oral communication skills are required, including being able to communicate complex technical concepts both visually and in text, to other engineers, clients, and public stakeholders.
- Must be able to build productive relationships with internal and external client bases.
- A history of effective teambuilding and leadership of project teams over a broad project range.
- Must be able to work independently and as a team member to problem solve and learn new technical skills.
- Ability and willingness to assist early-career staff in setting and achieving annual goals.
- A bachelor's degree in civil engineering with appropriate course work in the concentrations of transportation, airports, and/or construction.
- A minimum of 8 years of civil design experience, preferably in the airport discipline.
- At minimum, possess a Professional Engineer (PE) registration in the State of Indiana, or the ability to obtain Indiana registration via comity within 6 months from the date of initial employment.