Provide technical expertise in strategic technology initiatives that are critical to the long term success of FedEx. These initiatives include development of new capabilities in advanced and emerging technologies space, usually involving participation of two or more FedEx operating companies. Duties include providing technical input in assessment and application of advanced/emerging technologies (e.g., autonomous vehicles, robotics). In addition, this includes planning, execution and testing of implementation of emerging technologies in FedEx operations by working with technology developers, suppliers, and operations.
Job Specific Information:
Official job title is "Strategic Operations Technology Principal". This position will:
- Provide technical expertise for key multi-year strategic initiatives related to emerging technologies such as advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), autonomous vehicles and robotics during planning, development and testing phases
- Lead or participate in strategic / technical discussions and collaborate in the creation of new ideas / roadmap for future development with cross functional teams, suppliers, vendors, technology developers and operations
- Provide data collection and analytical expertise to inform technology, design, and operations decisions
- Lead testing activities including test plans and documentation
- Facilitate enterprise monitoring and collaboration opportunities with a network of peers within the Operating Companies focused on emerging technology research and development
- Monitor and assess implications of technological, regulatory, cybersecurity, and public acceptance advancements
- Keep abreast of industry / competitive trends, technologies and best practices
- Publish / present technical reports and / or pursue Intellectual property rights.
Skills/Knowledge Considered a Plus:
- Knowledge of advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), autonomous vehicles and/or robotics
- Knowledge in enabling vehicle technologies such as control, signal processing and sensor technologies, machine learning, real-time mapping, and cloud computing
- Experience with concept validation / prototype development and testing
- Experience in transportation and logistics a plus
Bachelor's degree/equivalent in robotics, computer science, engineering, information systems, or related discipline. Master's degree or related professional designation preferred. Seven years of experience in providing innovative thinking in advanced technology, operations and design perspectives, and vision in practical business environment. Demonstrated knowledge and experience in implementation of emerging technologies, specifically advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), autonomous vehicles and/or robotics. Strong problem solving, critical thinking, human relations and communication skills especially with a diverse group of team members including technicians, software and hardware engineers, managers and executives (technical and non-technical groups).