Autonomous Senior Research Engineer(s)
This position will be responsible to research and develop localization algorithms for autonomous driving. The main focus of the position is Localization & Mapping technology including but not limited to: Vision based localization & mapping, Lidar based localization & mapping, Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM), Iterative Closest Point (ICP), integration of vision/lidar based localization with GNSS and IMU through Kalman filter./Particle filter.
In addition, support the R&D project team engineers and researchers with technical evaluation of technologies being considered by client. The evaluation will consist of a scientific deep dive, application analysis, manufacturability, market and cost factors associated with the technology.
The Sr. Research Engineer will plan execute and coordinate R&D programs for/with internal and external R&D departments, (supplier) companies, institutions and academia.
- Evaluation of technologies and product designs with compliance to scientific principles, engineering principles, company standards, customer requirements and related specifications
- Support the development of innovative components and modules from the initial concept phase through the complete development process including design engineering, validation, prototyping, testing, and evaluation of the proposed production capable process and business case
- Design and conduct research programs; applying theory and principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, hydraulics, electronics, heat transfer and materials
- Contribute to team effort by providing innovative ideas for products and processes and by sharing new information with other team members
- Support the ideation process while identifying gaps in the current product or manufacturing technology to guide and provide future R&D efforts
- Analyze engineering results and propose product changes to determine feasibility, improvement of components and systems and functional/performance specifications
- Correlate experimental data to simulation data
- Maintain innovation project schedule by monitoring project progress, co-coordinate activities, calculating time requirements, sequencing project elements and resolving problems
- Specify requests and coordinate all sub-contracted work (i.e. S/W development, prototyping, validation, testing) and assures timely completion
- Confer with other project engineers to clarify or resolve problems and develop designs
- Maintain proper filing systems to ensure all information, (electronic or hard copy), are stored according to departments requirements
- Provide engineeringsupport to other departments within the company as directed by the department leader
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by reviewing professional publications and establishing personal networks
- Responsible for keeping the organization abreast of developments in his/her R&D programs.
- Interpret technical specifications from OEMS
- Prepare project progress reports
- Use related computer software and equipment to perform technical analysis tasks
- Continuing education and/or training is critical as technology evolves
- Ability to travel domestic and international
- Perform other duties as required
Knowledge and Education
- Master's or higher degree in Engineering including but not limited to: Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, and Robotics. Automotive OEM or Tier-1 experiencepreferred.
- Experience in research or development in a technology area related to Autonomous Driving (as per the definition in the Job Introduction), or Automotive Chassis Control, or equivalent combination of education/experience.
Skills and Competencies
- Knowledge of Computer Vision and basic Image Processing
- Knowledge of Visual Odometry / Image Matching / Image Stitching
- Knowledge of SLAM/ICP
- Knowledge of Kalman Filter / Particle Filter
- Experience with Lidar point cloud based localization
- Experience with GPS
- Proficient in programming in C/C++, Matlab/Simulink, etc.
- Strong spoken and written English language skills.