MTS – Automation Software Engineer
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 500,000 enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era by simplifying, automating and transforming the way they build, deliver and consume Information Technologies. Our team of 15,000+ people working in 50+ locations worldwide is committed to building a community where great people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, teamwork, active learning and giving back.
Why work for our Division
VMware’s world-class, award-winning R&D team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the R&D team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. R&D team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has R&D offices in: Silicon Valley; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China.
Why work with our group
Engineers interested in problem solving, developing testing tools, and hardware and software interoperability get to design automated tests to find bugs in our products or design plans to ensure that the products operate efficiently with all hardware and software systems. They work with the latest hardware, software and devices to ensure that our software executes flawlessly. They design and build test infrastructure, including automation framework and tools, coverage analyzers, and custom test tools.
Test core components of enterprise-class virtualization platform including: developing and writing test cases for new product features; manual and automated test execution to verify virtualized software systems, reporting test results and product quality assessments; collaborating effectively with local and remote teams for automation, efficient test execution and reporting, as well as with developers and other QA team members to help ship very high quality products; and, reviewing product documentation.
We will need an experienced developer in test engineer to:
• Define test strategy and develop test plans for virtualization and cloud infrastructure platform domain of company's infrastructure platform product
• Automate the end to end scenarios by integrating various different components into an overall architecture so that they can be packaged, deployed, and run most efficiently part of the continuous test runs
• Set project milestones, prioritize individual tasks, and keep track of progress to ensure on-time project delivery
• Work with cross-functional teams in testing and development, and contribute actively in individual test design specification and code-reviews
• May provide technical guidance and lead discussions with fellow test developers
• May manage activities to meet delivery dates and report accurate and complete status of test development
• Maintain current knowledge of new methodologies, tools, and mechanisms, for test development efficiency and effectiveness
• Bachelors or Master degree in Computer Science or related field
• Less than 5 years experience in testing and releasing enterprise level software products.
• Understanding of OS/kernel internals and their interaction with hardware virtualization including memory management, resource management, CPU scheduling and device drivers
• Solid understanding of operating system fundamentals, administration knowledge of UNIX/Linux OSes
• Excellent in Python, Go programming; experienced in C is a plus
• Software Engineering (QA methodologies)
• Test Automation
• Linux & Windows system administration
• Experience in developing automation framework and testing
• Strong trouble shooting and debugging skills to find the root cause
• A good understanding of software development life cycle
• Experience with bugs filing systems and source control systems
• Excellent communication skills required
• Self motivated and be able to work independently
• Good team player
• Familiarity with VMware products – ESXi platform and its APIs provided in SDKs