In January 2018, we launched one of the industry’s largest technical transformation projects, in effect building a new bank from the ground up. This project isn’t greenfield in the way most banks claim projects are; we’ve started with a blank sheet of paper both operationally and technically. We’re using the same technologies that Silicon Valley giants are using: aggressive use of multiple public clouds, building our own private cloud to achieve even better performance, pushing out microservices into what will be one of the largest Kubernetes installations in the world, leveraging immutable storage to process and store hundreds of terabytes of data a day, reinventingdatabases to be elastic and scale to petabytes, transforming our industry through application of distributed ledger technology and cognitive computing, aggressively participating in open source communities driving our systems.
This isn’t a traditional banking role. This is a chance to push your technical skills with people more comfortable in a technology firm than an investment bank, but solving problems that affect anyone with any form of savings worldwide (not just trying to get people to click on ads). We don’t expect you to wear a suit, we don’t expect you to not be able to tell your friends what you’re working on, we don’t expect you to sit in meetings 5 hours a day.
This role is for the Database As a Service team that is in charge of building serverless elastic database that scales to petabytes of data. Our offering to the internal teams:
- We provide "database as a service" across public and private clouds
- We provide self service UI for our user where they spin up elastic database environment in seconds
- We are reinventing the databases to be cloud-native and elastic.
- We are challenging the traditional database and MPP designs
- We deliver exceptional query performance while adhering to ANSI SQL compliance
- We integrate with other open source tools such as Apache Spark
- We will contribute code to open source
- We are a geographically distributed team that is agile and has many remote engineers
We are looking for strong senior engineers with experience in databaseinternals, query optimizers, database storage, open source databases, and cloud.
Who You Are:
- Highly-motivated and thrive in an environment that challenges the status quo
- Exhibit leadership values such as Accountability, Bias-to-action, Collaboration
- Passionate about reinventing databases and automating every task
- Have relevant experience
- Have a strong interest in learning and innovating
- Interact with peers across teams to ensure best practices are followed
- Be a contributor to open source projects
As we’re hiring very rapidly for the right candidates, if you have experience or interest in any of the technologies we work with, we’d love to hear from you!
Successful candidates will:
- A degree in computer science or equivalent experience acquired on the job.
- Good working knowledge of automation and modern infrastructure engineering
- Strong background of computer science fundamentals
- Strong interest in designing, building, and debugging zero downtime distributed systems
- Experience working with Linux, CI/CD Pipelines, Docker, Kubernetes is a must
- Language proficiency in one or more of the following: Python, Go, Ruby, Ansible, Puppet or Chef
- Knowledge of AWS/Azure/Google Cloud, S3 is a plus
- Appreciate the value diversity (in all its forms) brings to our team and company
Experience working in a financial services environment is not required or expected.
Help us revolutionize the databases!