The Automation Engineer is responsible for designing, developing, documenting, testing and commissioning automation systems within constraints such as development cost, product quality, product safety and time. They will be the primary support for existing automation systems and be responsible for troubleshooting, repairs and upgrades.
Successful Automation / Robotics Engineers have experience with a wide variety of automation components including motors, drives, sensors and vision systems. They have strong problem-solving skills and understand automated/mechanical systems, assembly lines realization, industrial robots, 2D/3D computer vision, machine learning, perception and sensing for robot guidance. They also have experience with selection, configuration, software development, and controls of automation including HMI’s, PLC, PC and embedded control systems. They understand DCS, SCADA, and automation communication networks and protocols.
They are self-motivated, can work independently with little direction, and have factory floor troubleshooting experience. With effective interpersonal and communication skills they can elicit cooperation from upper management, product group teams, manufacturing sites, external experts, suppliers, and customers. They work well in a team environment, can meet deadlines, and are willing to travel internationally.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Leverage advanced and conventional technologies to improve quality, increase productivity, and reduce waste in our manufacturing processes.
- Create, improve, and implement both quality and safety standards into manufacturing equipment.
- Work with other engineering domains, such as mechanical, electrical and Information Technology (IT), to solve cross-domain problems related to automation equipment and processes involving the use of sensors, actuators and IT infrastructure.
- Analyze domain problems and identify, adapt and develop technologies from the fields of automated and autonomous systems and industrial automation to address them.
- Document and validate automated processes with domain experts.
- Integrate systems and software, considering qualities such as security, safety, performance and reliability.
- Support the senior technical team in the creation of a technical roadmap for advanced technologies stack.
- Support the engineering team in understanding and implementing technologies.
- Support and perform technology transfers from technical collaboration projects in areas of planning under uncertainty, machine learning, probabilistic reasoning and cognitive systems.
- Liaise between Research and Operations organizations to promote appropriate decision-making technologies and solutions.
- Support maintenance team to troubleshoot difficult breakdowns and chronic equipment failures and identify opportunities to implement condition-based maintenance systems.
- The position entails rigorous process discipline and documentation practices as well as excellent cross-functional communication skills to assure functionality, safety, reliability and quality of the product and the processes.
- BS in an Engineering discipline, Physics, Mathematics, or equivalent
- At least 3 years of experience programming in Python and SQL
- Hands-on experience in IT and industrial networks
- Working knowledge in communication protocols including TCP/IP, Ethernet/IP, Serial, FTP, Modbus
- Proven ability to track multiple projects simultaneously with limited supervision
- Strong attention to detail and organization skills.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex situations and utilize troubleshooting skills, systems and tools, and creative problem-solving abilities under pressure
- Experience programming Allen Bradley PLC’s. Fluent on Ladder-Logic, Sequential Function Charts and Structured Text
Preferred Experience & Exposures:
- MS in Electrical Engineer, Computer Engineer or Computer Science or 3 years of experience on industrial automation
- Certified in Ignition Core basics from Inductive Automation
- Experience programming in Java
- Experience working with UNIX-based operating systems including Ubuntu
- Network administration certification such as CCNA, CCNP, CCIE or equivalent
- Experience with Continuous Improvement techniques, Lean Six Sigma and 5S
- Experience with FANUC industrial robots
- ISA/IEC 61511 Safety Instrumented Systems Certificate Programs
- Certificate 1: ISA/IEC 61511 SIS Fundamentals Specialist or above
- Any Studio/Logix 5000 Programmer Certificate
- Candidates must be able to legally work and reside in the US, without sponsorship