Culture Biosciences grows organisms for biotech companies. We've built the first cloud bioreactor facility. Here’s how it works:
- Our customers, biotechnology companies, design organisms (bacteria, yeast, mammalian cells) to produce products (materials, therapeutics, food).
- We grow their cells in our bioreactors to optimize the yield of their products. Ultimately, we help our customers get their products to market faster.
- Our customers receive their experimental results live on our website.
Our cloud bioreactor facility is made possible by custom software and automation technology that our team develops. The automated infrastructure is also more efficient to operate than traditional equipment. Our software also provides quick and simple data analysis, enabling customers to analyze reams of data quickly.
Culture Biosciences is looking for an experienced Automation Engineer. Your role will be to lead the development of automation systems in our cloud bioreactor facility.
Your primary focus will be on designing, building, installing, and testing lab automation systems for sample processing, sample tracking and management, and media prep and dispensing. Unlike other lab automation roles, you will also develop custom automation systems that interface directly with our bioreactors.
What you'll do
- Proactively solve the most important problems for the business
- Lead the design and development of high quality lab automation.
- Improve and optimize deployed automation systems.
- Program automation systems to interface with our backend infrastructure
- Learn about fermentation, cell culture, and biomanufacturing
In return, we will support you by:
- Placing a high degree of trust in your ideas and execution.
- Bringing you up to speed in the domain of biomanufacturing.
- Providing a low-stress work environment.
- Making ourselves available for collaboration.
- Caring about you as a whole person, not a “resource”.
Projects on our horizon
- Sample prep automation.
- Sample tracking.
- Auto-sampling of reactors.
- Liquid dispensing into media bottles and reactors.
- Moving sample tubes throughout the lab.
- And much, much more.
- At least 5 years of experience designing, building, installing, and testing lab automation systems.
- You’re pro active and a self-starter
- You’re kind, curious, and enjoy learning new things.
- You value communication and connection on a multidisciplinary team
- You care that you’re building something that solves a problem and helps end users
- You should be comfortable with a CAD platform in order to design 3D models of automation systems.
- You should be comfortable programming in order to interface automation systems to backend data and software systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Mechatronics, Biomedical Engineering, or a related field.
- Competitive salary and equity.
- Health insurance (PPO), Dental, Vision, and Life.
- PTO: 3 weeks and 10 days of company holidays.
- Parental leave policy: 12 weeks. Full salary paid.
- We have a machine shop onsite for rapid prototyping -- Haas CNC, manual mill, lathe, laser cutter, 3D printers, vacuum former and more.
- We offer free, onsite breakfast, lunch, snacks, coffee as well as a gym with showers and classes.