This will be a project management and support position for CMC Americas. The position will work closely with Recycling, Rebar Fab, Mills, and heat treating locations that have automation needs to keep operations running, implement intermittent modifications to control systems, and manage projects related to electrical and automation at their locations.
The Automation Engineer is a well-rounded individual with high-level skills in process control. Over the past few years, CMC has implemented newer and more sophisticated equipment, implemented SAP along with Level 2 production and downtime tracking, and started to monitor process efficiency. The successful candidate will lead and be responsible for the development of necessary process control technology to interconnect these systems. Basic skills related to mechanical drawings, design and operations are also required. This engineer must be capable of interacting with technical engineers and non-technical operations personnel to integrate new technologies and update existing systems. This position is project-based, and must be able to take advantage of planned and unplanned production interruptions to accomplish project implementation. Automation engineers require good project management skills enabling them to oversee several projects at one time, while tracking deadlines, cost projections, and quality compliance. Skilled decision making is required to be able to handle a dynamic work scope. Qualified candidates will have a strong technical writing and drawing ability enabling them to complete projects with a high level of documentation accuracy.
Essential Functions andResponsibilities
• Knowledge and experience utilizing today’s design and project management tools including AutoCAD and Microsoft project.
• An ability to utilize, understand and enforce electrical code documentation such as the NEC and NFPA.
• Experience planning outage work schedules and supervising contractors to accomplish installation goals.
• Field assistance experience in periodic automation changes / tune-ups and understanding the customer’s needs
• Remote assistance through a terminal located at each facility. These are being setup both for outside vendor access and internal remote troubleshooting capability.
• Maintain hardware and software at pertinent locations along with backups and disaster recovery plans
• Capable of managing multiple project designs, scopes, budgets, and installations.
• Capable of being self-taught and learn by on the job experiences.
• Fluent and effective at creating technical descriptions for both operators and maintenance.
• Meeting established target dates for projects. Ability to work within project scope and budget
Experienceand Skill Requirements
• 10+ years in PLC programming, Allen Bradley, Siemens
• Automation lead on large capital projects. Specify and review proposals and supplied systems for compliance with CMC standards. Install and startup site assistance
• Experienced specifying, installing, configuring, and scaling field devices including motors, accelerometers, RTDs, loads cells, pressure transmitters, flow transmitters, valve positioners
• Understand and be able to design, implement, trouble shoot, and repair different PLC and drive control networks such as; Profibus, ABB Field bus, Device Net, and Modbus.
• Creating, modifying and maintaining Industrial SCADA / HMI systems in multiple platforms including WonderWare Intouch, Ignition, and Level 1 touch panels. Be able to creat and commissioning HMI applications which compliment control systems by providing intuitive, easy to use, graphics.
• Capable of database information exchange between HMI and database systems.
• Create and tune existing regulation systems such as PLC PIDs (level control and positioning), and DC drive current and speed regulators.
• Have a strong enough understanding of basic hydraulics as well as proportional valves to be able to specify, create, and modify hydraulic control system.
• Have a strong knowledge of different networking techniques with business and processes networks. For example; Routers, Hubs, switches, TCPIP, DHCP, DNS, Port Forwarding, etc
• Experience specifying, purchasing, installing, and commissioning variable frequency drives as well as DC drives.
• Experience with AutoCAD.
• Have a strong background with technical writing to be able to write manuals and documents for operations and maintenance, explaining new or modified equipment.
• Be dedicated and have a passion for perfection.
• Good communication skills; will act as liaison between businesses.
• Confident; but able to seek help when necessary
• Ability to work under pressure
• Works well in a team environment
• Understand the importance of commitment
• Creative thinker
• Quick learner
• Will vary; dependent upon project requirements. Work will be performed both remotely and at the operating locations. Travel to locations will be planned primarily but some unplanned travel may occur when operational emergencies develop.
• Typically 15%-40% Travel
Education Level Required/Preferred:
• Engineering – Electrical (BSEE or BSEET) or equivalent experience
• PE licensing or working towards licensing - preferred