As a subject matter expert and innovator, the Automation Controls Engineer develops and delivers elegant solutions to highly complex equipment design and manufacturing technology projects at our global locations. Within the FLAG Global Manufacturing Technology team, which includes Tooling Design and Build, Machine Design and Build, and Process Engineering, this position is expected to continue advancing our manufacturing capabilities, capacity, quality, reliability, and safety. As a mid to senior-level engineer, this position is expected to execute controls system projects from concept through design and programming, manufacturing start-up, and lifecycle support.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Contribute to the design and development of effective controls systems to support global manufacturing processes.
- Collaborate throughout the company to develop and implement solutions that advance our manufacturing technology.
- Investigate and propose applications of cutting edge technologies to new and existing manufacturing processes.
- Develop elegant, robust solutions to complex systems using Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), machine vision systems, sensors, motion control devices, robots, etc.
- Establish and maintain engineering standards, such as: coding practices, tag naming, network connectivity and device management, etc.
- Participate in bi-directional peer design reviews
- Lead technical activities with suppliers, system integrators, and internal customers
- Contribute to quality systems using toolsets such as Lean, Design for Six Sigma, House of Quality, etc. to advance equipment designs and process improvements
- Identify opportunities for improvement in equipment and internal work processes
- Build business case to explain technical recommendations
- Lead collaborative efforts with diverse backgrounds and functional areas
- Define schedules based on projects and experience
- Coach and mentor others regarding customer service; manage communications and opportunities with customers and recommend actions
- Engage in and lead Continuous Improvement initiatives; act as a role model for others in safety, 5S, etc.
- Prepare presentations to outside suppliers, system integrators, and Blount leadership team with support from senior team members
- Maintain open communication through conversation and both formal and informal documents
- Bachelor of Science degree in Controls Systems, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering required; degrees in other engineering disciplines considered with relevant industry experience
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS REQUIRED:
Automation Controls Engineer II:
- 2-4 years' minimum experience
Automation Controls Engineer III:
- 5-8 years' minimum experience