Ford Motor Company is committed to expanding our core business from auto manufacturer to, the much broader, mobility solutions company. Automated Driving (SAE Levels 2-5) will play a major role in many of these upcoming mobility solutions. In fact, Automated Drive will play a key role in the future of Ford, in the future of transportation, and in the future of how people interact with their world. This future is being created today by Ford’s Research and Advanced Engineering team. This fun, fast-moving, innovative team is looking for candidates to support research and developmental efforts in this space utilizing the best systems engineering approaches and tools.
This position entails eliciting needs and required functionality early in the development cycle, modeling and simulating system behaviors, managing variant sets of solutions and interfaces, conducting trade-studies, analyzing failure modes and emergent behaviors of the holistic system, and managing the flow-down of requirements to the many parts of the system. The role requires not only technical acuity but also soft-skills to negotiate functionality across a diverse project team. While the tasks and responsibilities of the job are defined, successful candidates will be new or experienced engineers who possess a track record of being strong independent thinkers who deal well with ambiguity and a rapidly changing research environment.
- Leverage a model based approach (e.g. descriptive/architectural SysML models in combination with executable/analysis models in Simulink/etc) to architecting, defining, and analyzing complex systems involving a mix of hardware and controls for electrified vehicle powertrains
- Develop and manage a set of core systems engineering work products including use cases, strategy concepts, requirements, robustness artifacts, and verification methods/plans/results
- Facilitate design of the interfaces between the base vehicle subsystems (engine, transmission, battery, motor, climate, HMI, etc.), and manage the cascade and negotiation of the above with subsystem teams
- Develop physically and empirically based models & simulations and use them to conduct design option and trade-off studies
- Develop test plans and perform design verification tests on prototype vehicles or constituent systems, analyze results, provide recommendations and drive to implementation
- Support the quality processes (requirements development, functional safety/ISO26262, fault tree analysis, FMEAs, P-diagrams, etc.)
- Perform competitive analyses and maintain knowledge of emerging technologies in the automotive field
- Present designs, challenges, implementation details, and results with excellent written and oral communications skills
- Anticipate stakeholder and downstream customer needs through well-managed and smartly selected project deliverables and by conducting on-going peer and milestone reviews and virtual or real-vehicle demonstrations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical / Computer / Mechanical / Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, or related field
- 3+ years of (combined) experience in a role involved in requirements definition, decomposition, systems or controls design, trade/concept studies, design verification & validation. This may include school or employer project work on which these roles/responsibilities were assigned
- 1+ years of applied working experience with Matlab/Simulink/Stateflow
- MS or PhD. degree in Electrical / Mechanical / System Engineering or Controls related field
- 5+ years (combined) experience in controls, systems engineering, and/or driver assistance systems development (including related sensing or actuation technologies, or sensor fusion). This may include school or employer project work on which these roles/responsibilities were assigned.
- Experience applying Systems Engineering disciplines to the development of complex systems
- Exposure to autonomous system or robotics development
- Experience in requirements definition, decomposition, design verification and the use of systems engineering methods and tools
- Experience with hands on testing and problem solving in simulation, hardware in the loop systems, and prototype vehicles
- Broad understanding of control system design and analysis techniques
- Significant experience with Matlab, Simulink, Stateflow
- Significant experience utilizing models to develop and verify mixed hardware & embedded software systems desired
- Experience with CAN networks and tools (Canalyzer, Canape, etc.)
- Experience with model-based systems architecting languages, tools (SysML, MagicDraw, etc.), and associated methods
- Skilled at working in large team environments and interfacing with technical experts