The Audit Department is the 3rd Line of Defense and plays a key role in the internal control system of the Bank. It’s mandate is to provide independent and objective assurance over the design and effectiveness of internal controls to mitigate risks and to provide advisory services designed to improve the Bank's operations.
The role of this position is to carry out audits to assess the design and the operating effectiveness of internal controls in the Capital Markets Complliance department with special emphasis on the functioning of the Compliance department in identifying and keeping up-to-date the regulations applicable to the business, implementing controls around compliance with the regulations and testing of the complaince with the regulations.
The role of this position also includes assiting with cyclical audits of Operations, Finance, Product Control and other Capital Markets support functions in Toronto. Travel for these audits to international locations may be requried. Capital Markets business at Scotiabank covers Fixed Income, Equities, FX, Commodities, Prime Services and Loan Ops.
The incumbent will also provide high quality, value added advisory services to Management as part of the audits or special projects/assignments, ensuring all the while that the department and audit methodology standards are met
1. Engagement Planning / Execution
• Manage / assist in the planning of audits of lower to higher complexity/risk. Work as part of the team or individually and assist the Director, GBM Audit to provide the audit services
• Hold walkthrough meetings with audit clients to develop and document a thorough understanding of the key risks and processes for assigned projects.
• Design or updateaudit procedures for assigned audits. The incumbent should applyrisk based auditing standards and techniques.
• Manage and execute assigned audits in accordance with department standards ensuring the nature and extent of testing are sufficient and appropriate to support the audit opinion. Adopt a continuous dialogue approach with the audit clients during the audit to build rapport and maintain a healthy working relationship with the audit clients.
• Ensure completion of audit work withing the time budget.
• Assess the effectiveness, integrity and reliability of internal controls in relation to defined control requirements through examination of evidence and execution of test procedures.
• Document audit work performed using TeamMate software to ensure appropriate working papers are maintained and conform to department standards.
• Working with the Data Analytics team, identify and acquire suitable datasets and design and execute appropriate data driven audit tests.
2. Problem Identification / Reporting / Communication:
• Identify control weakenesses and develop audit findings to determine the root cause and associated impact/risk, including developing practical recommendations as to how risks can be mitigated.
• Validate the accuracy of the finding with the auditee and present issues to line management.
• Write audit findings, reports, and correspondence to management, ensuring writing is clear, concise, and accurate.
• Follow-up for corrective action/progress against reported issues on a quarterly basis and escalate when necessary
3. Other - Be an integral part of the GBM team and work closely with other teams in integrated audits. Play an active role in department initiatives. Build and foster on-going relationships with audit clients.
• Understanding of Capital Markets products and processes
• 3-5 years of relevant experience in Capital Markets Compliance or in Audit which should include audit of Capital Markets Compliance activities.
• Knowledge about key Capital Markets regulatory requirements and trends
• Good analytical skills necessary to assess risk in complex processes. Hands-on data analytics skills (use of PowerBI or other data analytics software) would be strongly preferred.
• Ability to quickly understand the risks associated with the processes and formulate/updateaudit procedures to ensure adequacy of the controls.
• Strong written and oral communication skills with strong issue and auditreport writing skills or a keen interest to develop the same.
• Strong team player and work well in integrated audits.
• Be proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Requires an undergraduatedegree in Business, Economics, Accounting or equivalent at a minimum. Appropriate certification in Capital markets Compliance will be an asset.
Requisition ID: 18643