AIG’s Internal Audit Group (IAG) provides independent and objective assurance, advice, and insight; guided by a philosophy of adding value to improve the operations of AIG. IAG assists AIG in accomplishing its objectives by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of AIG’s control environment; including risk management, operational, financial, internal control, and governance processes.
We are looking for an Audit Manager to join our Life & Retirement Audit team in Houston, TX. You will have an exciting opportunity to learn about AIG’s life and retirement product offerings and enhance your knowledge and understanding of the insurance business..
You will collaborate with AIG business area and functional stakeholders, audit and other assurance teams to:
- Assist the audit teams in identifying and analyzing the inherent risks in our life and retirement businesses and the controls that management has implemented to mitigate their risks
- Assist in the development of individual audits to ensure that audit projects and stakeholders focus on key risks and controls
- Participate in the development and execution of a risk based audit plan and lead the full audit lifecycle (planning, testing of controls, and issue verification) for individual audit engagements
- Collaborate across different global functional audit teams to provide for an integrated and coordinated approach to insurance risks and audit testing
- Contribute to the overall effectiveness and value of IAG by recommending and developing innovative approaches and solutions (e.g., the use of data analytics, automation, and Agile audit methodology)
We are looking for candidates that are proactive, continuously learn and introduce improved ways of doing things, both to business stakeholders in development of solutions to problems, IAG processes, including the use of data analytics.
The ideal candidates will be bold thinkers with an entrepreneurial bent, and will possess a powerful blend of IQ (technical skills, consistent learning, statistical & financial acumen) and emotional intelligence [EQ] (adaptive communication, empathy, listening skills, challenging with humility). We also look for diverse backgrounds of experience, culture and thought. You will be part of a large and diverse firm working within a team-oriented environment.
What you'll do:
- Assist with ensuring key risks and controls are properly identified, test procedures support the audit objectives, test procedures are completed in the budgeted timeframe and workpapers support the work performed and conclusions drawn in accordance with IAG’s Global Audit Methodology and professional standards for audit engagements
- Perform data analysis to identify anomalies or issues in the testing of controls, using IAG’s data analytics approach
- Draft identified issues, audit reports, process narratives, and other documents to assist audit team with reporting and effectively discuss findings with business stakeholders
- Work closely with the audit engagement teams to verify management’s corrective actions for audit issues within specified time frames by testing control design and operating effectiveness
- Identify opportunities to enhance operational efficiency and effectiveness for areas under audit
- Build and maintain strong working relationships internally as well as with the business
- Provide guidance and direction for junior staff to develop business and audit knowledge, set clear expectations, provide timely and constructive feedback, encourage their career advancement, and set the tone by enthusiastically facilitating knowledge exchange/transfer
- Ensure audit projects are delivered on time and project staff is utilized efficiently
- This position will also support Life and Retirement’s implementation of the new Long Duration Contracts accounting rule changes.
- Some travel may be required
What we're looking for:
- 5+ years of audit experience, financial/operational
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree
- A certified professional designation (e.g. CIA, CPA, CISA, CRISC, CISSP) is preferred
- Significant experience with auditing leveraging the use of data analysis tools is a plus, specifically ACL
- Familiarity with applicable industry applicable laws and regulations, including financial and accounting regulations
- 'Managerial courage' to effectively deliver difficult messages to staff members and determine appropriate reporting and escalation as needed
- Ability to thrive within a team-oriented environment while focusing on what matters most
- Good at cultivating relationships with stakeholders and within the IAG group, building trust that facilitates an open mindset and free exchange of information
- Function independently and multi-task in a dynamic, changing environment
- Strong communication (oral and written), presentation, and project management skills
- Possess and promote a culture of intellectual curiosity
- Experience working in the financial services/insurance industries a plus, but open to all industries
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission – creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.