AIG’s Internal Audit Group (IAG) provides independent and objective assurance, advice, and insight guided by a philosophy of adding value to improve the operations of AIG. IAG assists AIG in accomplishing its objectives by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of AIG’s control environment including risk management, operational, financial, internal control, and governance processes.
As an Audit Manager you will be part of our General Insurance Audit team in our New York office. We will consider candidates with an audit background who are open to learn the insurance industry.
You will collaborate with AIG business area and functional stakeholders, IAG and other assurance teams to:
- Assist the audit teams in identifying and analyzing the inherent risks in AIG’s commercial and property casualty functions, processes and products and the controls that management has implemented to mitigate their risks
- Assist in the development of individual audits to ensure that audit projects and stakeholders focus on key risks and controls
- Participate in the development and execution of a risk based audit plan and lead the full audit lifecycle (planning, testing of controls, and issue verification) for individual audit engagements
- Collaborate across different global functional audit teams to provide for an integrated and coordinated approach to insurance risks and audit testing
- Contribute to the overall effectiveness and value of IAG by recommending and developing innovative approaches and solutions (e.g., the use of data analytics, automation, and Agile audit methodology)
- We are seeking candidates who have excelled in previous work experience, possess strong analytical, quantitative and interpersonal skills, and are enthusiastic about and committed to AIG to contribute to IAG’s mission of being an industry leading internal audit team and key contributor to the achievement of the firm’s strategic goals. We are looking for candidates that are proactive, continuously learn and introduce improved ways of doing things, both to business stakeholders in development of solutions to problems, IAG processes, including the use of data analytics.
The ideal candidates will be bold thinkers with an entrepreneurial bent, and will possess a powerful blend of IQ (technical skills, consistent learning, statistical & financial acumen) and emotional intelligence [EQ] (adaptive communication, empathy, listening skills, challenging with humility). IAG also looks for diverse backgrounds of experience, culture and thought. Successful candidates typically have a global perspective and a record of successful teamwork. You will be part of a large and diverse firm working within a team-oriented environment. You will gain a unique view of AIG, as part of planning and executing on all aspects of the audit process and risk
assessment activities and will build close working relationships with business and functional leaders, colleagues across other assurance functions, and fellow team members.
- Ensure key risks and controls are properly identified, test procedures support the audit objectives, test procedures are completed in the budgeted timeframe and workpapers support the work performed and conclusions drawn in accordance with IAG’s Global Audit Methodology and professional standards for audit engagements
- Perform data analysis to identify anomalies or issues in the testing of controls, partnering with the IAG data analytics team
- Draft identified issues, audit reports, process narratives, and other documents to assist audit team with reporting and effectively discuss findings with business stakeholders
- Work closely with the audit engagement teams to verify management’s corrective actions for audit issues within specified time frames by testing control design and operating effectiveness
- Hold team accountable for meeting deliverables, quality assurance and methodology standards, including providing real-time feedback
- Identify opportunities to enhance operational efficiency and effectiveness for areas under audit
- Build and maintain strong working relationships internally as well as with the business
- Provide guidance and direction for junior staff to develop business and audit knowledge, set clear expectations, provide timely and constructive feedback, encourage their career advancement, and set the tone by enthusiastically facilitating knowledge exchange/transfer
- Ensure audit projects are delivered on time and project staff is utilized efficiently
- Some travel may be required
- 5+ years of audit experience (we will consider candidates with an audit background who are wiling to learn the insurance industry)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A certified professional designation (e.g. CIA, CPA, CISA, CRISC, CISSP) is preferred
- Knowledge of audit procedures, including risk driven audit planning techniques and methods, design of testing approaches for controls and the requirements of the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing of the Institute of Internal Auditors
- Familiarity with applicable industry applicable laws and regulations
- 'Managerial courage' to effectively deliver difficult messages to staff members and determine appropriate reporting and escalation as needed
- Ability to thrive within a team-oriented environment while focusing on what matters most
- Good at cultivating relationships with stakeholders and within the IAG group, building trust that facilitates an open mindset and free exchange of information
- Function independently and multi-task in a dynamic, changing environment
- Strong communication (oral and written), presentation, and project management skills
- Experience in presenting and discussing information in a logical, professional and objective manner, and to manage discussions to effectively build consensus and drive forward looking actions
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Possess and promote a culture of intellectual curiosity
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission – creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.