At Google, our philosophy is build it, break it and then rebuild it better. That thinking is at the core of how we approach testing at Google. Unlike roles with similar names at the other companies, Test Engineers at Google aren't manual testers -- you write scripts to automate testing and create tools so developers can test their own code. As a Test Engineer, you navigate Google's massive codebase, identify weak spots and constantly design better and creative ways to break software and identify potential problems. You'll have a huge impact on the quality of Google's growing suite of products and services.
As an Audio Test Engineer, you will manage one of the key consumer satisfaction metrics - functional performance of the device. You'll be a key member of the cross-functional team, working on launching the product. You'll also manage factory test stations from Concept to Mass Production.
The role will be in one of the product families: VR, Wearables, Phones, Laptops and Home.
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Only one thing consistently stands in the way between our users and the world's information—hardware. Our Consumer Hardware team researches, designs, and develops new technologies and hardware to make our user's interaction with computing faster, more powerful, and seamless. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, our Consumer Hardware team is making people's lives better through technology.
- Provide maintenance for all factory test stations including production test stations before/after Rel testing. Develop with Design/Engineering teams functional specifications for the product and implement at the factory.
- Make recommendations to design and test coverage improvement with minimal engineering engagement. Be responsible for implementation, yield and parametric data, correlation, along with playing point into Software Engineering teams for factory images, test scripts and requirements.
- Provide Covers System Level (end to end assembly), mechanical level (all mechanical assemblies), Test and Surface Mount Technology/Design for Manufacturing (for Printed Circuit Board Assembly). Provide test station sign off criteria for MP and test station development for xVT (Verification Testing) with an eye on mass production.
- Provide Early Field Failure Analysis Program Support and drive to closure potential test gaps and correlations issues between our Vendors and manufacturing processes. Work with Engineering to define test coverage and test fixture requirements.
- Provide Test Software Development (device and station) and Test Fixture (mechanical) Development and be responsible for SMT and FATP test readiness and execution. Provide early engagement with Engineering on design for testability.
- BS degree in Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience in testing products for manufacturing.
- Experience building and launching consumer electronics products.
- MS or PhD in Engineering.
- Mechanical and Software expertise in audio test station development. Coding proficiency in C, Python and extensive knowledge in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Experience with audio and acoustic measurements using standard off-the-shelf instrumentation (SoundCheck, Audio Precision, or Bruel & Kjaer). Experience designing robust audio test fixtures and audio analysis software suitable for high volume manufacturing.
- Experience with hardware testing, system bring up, and design validation.
- Experience working with OEM partners. Experience supporting FATP lines shipping high volume consumer audio products.
- Experience in debug, troubleshooting and failure analysis investigation.