Google engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. As a member of an extraordinarily creative, motivated and talented team, you develop new products that are used by millions of people. We need our engineers to be versatile and passionate to take on new problems as we continue to push technology forward. If you get excited about building new things and aren't daunted by the challenge of building something from scratch, then our team might be your next career step.
You are a smart and highly motivated engineer who will help design the next generation audio and acoustic systems for Google Home. You will be involved in the complete life cycle of the product including audio component selection, acoustics design, digital signal processing (DSP) tuning, and manufacturing support. You have expertise in the evaluation and implementation of codecs, amplifiers, microphones, and speakers. As an Engineer, you should have familiarity with tuning DSP algorithms such as compressors, noise suppressors, echo cancelers, equalization filters, and limiters.
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Only one thing consistently stands in the way between our users and the world's information—hardware. Our Consumer Hardware team researches, designs, and develops new technologies and hardware to make our user's interaction with computing faster, more powerful, and seamless. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, our Consumer Hardware team is making people's lives better through technology.
- Design and deliver audio systems including selection of codecs, amplifiers, microphones, and speakers.
- Provide DSP tuning of audio algorithms including the echo canceler, noise suppressor, compressor, equalization filter, and gain blocks.
- Provide the acoustic design of microphones and speaker assemblies. Drive vendors to create or customize transducers to meet high performance.
- Provide acoustic simulation of transducers and acoustic modules using lumped sum and FEM tools.
- Evaluate new components and technologies, maintain roadmap of new technologies and intersection points with products.
- BA/BS degree in Engineering, Physics or equivalent practical experience.
- 4 years of experience with relevant audio design work.
- Experience with simulation software (PSPICE, MicroCap, COMSOL, etc.)
- Strong experience designing and shipping high volume consumer audio products
- Knowledge of acoustic design methods for speakers and microphones.
- Knowledge of audio signal processing algorithms (EQ, compression, echo cancellation, etc.) and how to tune.
- Skilled at audio and acoustic measurements using standard equipment from SoundCheck, Audio Precision, Bruel & Kjaer, and/or HEAD Acoustics.