Progress is achieved by those with the courage to reimagine what’s possible. Audi was born more than a century ago with a vision of boldly challenging the status quo and is bound by a promise to imaginatively innovate. We believe the best ideas—the ideas that will define our future—will come from new ways of thinking. We believe everyone should have a voice. We believe in equality. We believe that “we” includes all of us. For these reasons, we strive to create a workplace where diverse ideas are embraced, where people can be themselves, and where everyone comes together to reinvent mobility, drive toward a more sustainable future and create amazing customer experiences.
The manager responsible will be responsible for software development activities within the ADAS development team at AoA located in San Jose, CA. The responsibility will include establishing the software development team and the SW development processes within the department. Conception and development of embedded SW architecture for ADAS systems in close cooperation the AUDI AG and development and implementation of the SW elements in the system together with a team of internal employees and contractors will be one of the main tasks of the role. The other part of the role comprises of setting up the Big Data infrastructure in the US for the development and improvement of ADAS systems. This will include working closely with AUDI AG and cloud solution providers to implement tools and methods to ensure the flow of data from the fleet to the cloud, processing of the data in the cloud, use of the data to develop and improve software components and over-the-air update of the fleet with the updated software. Setting up the cloud infrastructure will require in-depth knowledge of implementation of resimulation and data processing tools within the cloud setup. The final approval and release of the developed solutions for use will also be a part of the job responsibility.
Software development for embedded systems (40%)
- The responsibility will include establishing the software development team and the SW development processes within the department
- Conception and development of embedded SW architecture for ADAS systems in close cooperation the AUDI AG and development and implementation of the SW elements in the system together with a team of internal employees and contractors.
Conception, implementation and roll-of cloud based Big Data infrastructure (30%)
- Work together with Audi AG to understand the system requirement for the Big Data infrastructure in the US.
- Work closely with AUDI AG and cloud solution providers to implement tools and methods to ensure the flow of data from the fleet to the cloud, processing of the data in the cloud, use of the data to develop and improve software components and over-the-air update of the fleet with the updated software.
Supplier collaboration and supplier management (20%)
- Scout and establish cooperation with suppliers in Silicon Valley and other parts of the US to reach out for top development results for benchmark ADAS development
- Management of the suppliers during the conception, development and release of the systems
Establish and lead the team (10%)
- Establish a software development team within the ADAS department, organize the requirements and motivation for a best performance team
- To achieve these aims, the principal engineer must have very good mentoring skills and longstanding experience in leadership to ensure an optimal working environment for the individual and collective needs of a successful team.
10+ years of comprehensive experience in embedded software engineering including 6-10 years of SW development experience in complex embedded software system and 1+ year of work experience implementing big data solutions in the cloud (MS Azure preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Master’s or PhD in Computer Science or related field (desired).
- Significant and extensive experience in software system architecture design, software implementation design, analysis, troubleshooting, and testing
- Ability to architect the software design of a complete embedded system
- Ability to write, debug, and test embedded C/C++ and Python
- Deep understanding on modern Machine Learning methods.
- Working experience with Deep Neural Networks (e.g. PyTorch, TensorFlow)
- Knowledge of automotive functional safety
- Ability to utilize standard tools and methodologies to guide activities (Fish bone, fault tree, 5-Whys, 8Ds).
- Strong technical background to perform engineering calculations, simulations, and analysis, as well as strong communication skills to explain technical issues clearly and effectively to a non-technical audience.
- Experience on developing and deploying custom APIs and SDKs (Abstraction layers)
- Experience with embedded operating systems
- Experience with time/data triggered frameworks for robotic/automotive appl. (e.g. ROS)
- Strong ability to step in at any time and ensure successful completion/execution
- Knowledge of vehicle communication such as CAN/ Ethernet (TCP/IP)
- Ability to read, understand and create diagrams, charts and schematics, as well as software architecture, software design, and software development documents and test specifications.
- Knowledge of software development life cycle.
- Well versed and experienced in SPICE process, CMMI or equivalent software development process maps. Must be well conversant with Waterfall, Agile and other Software Project Management methodologies.
- Excellent planning and organization, project management and time management skills
- Effective analytical and conceptual skills to derive adequate solutions for technical problems
- High initiative towards driving development and innovation
- Strategic thinking
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong presentation, rhetorical, influencing and negotiation skills.
- Understanding the full software development life cycle, agile development and continuous integration
- Hands on experience building production level systems in a cloud environment
- Embedded software engineering experience in the field of ADAS development (desired).
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.