We are looking to hire an Attorney I to defend lawsuits against GEICO insureds and represents GEICO in subrogation, Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM), PIP lawsuits filed in courts of limited jurisdiction and, in the discretion of the Managing Attorney, in courts of unlimited jurisdiction. Responsibilities include researching laws and preparing legal briefs, opinions, and memoranda. You will render opinions on liability, damages, and value as requested by the Claims Department. You will also prepare and handle pleadings, motions, and discovery, to include depositions/examinations before trial and examinations under oath, and defend by trial, arbitration, or mediation all matters assigned, as applicable. Salary and grade will be commensurate with experience.
- Must be able, with or without accommodation, to perform the essential functions which include, but are not limited to, thinking (concentrating, focusing, assimilating information), reading, writing, listening, typing, speaking, bending, reaching, lifting, and standing for extended periods.
- Must be able to travel as required, including but not limited, to attend trials, hearings, depositions, management meetings and conferences.
- Must be able to use a keyboard and a mouse.
- Must be able to access and utilize multiple pieces of office equipment that may require simultaneous use.
- Must be able to communicate in a professional manner in person, via telephone and written correspondence/email.
- Must be able to document files in a clear, concise, professional written manner, to be understood by customers, clients, co-workers and other employees of the organization.
- Must be able to follow complex instructions, resolve conflicts or facilitate conflict resolution, and have strong organization/priority setting and multi-tasking skills.
- Must be able to learn and apply large amounts of technical and procedural information.
- Must have the following education and experience:
- Must be licensed in good standing to practice law in applicable jurisdictions, and meet and maintain licensing requirements including mandatory Continuing Legal Education (CLE) requirements where applicable.
- Minimum of one year of insurance defense or personal injury litigation experience or two years’ litigation experience (Attorneys must be a grade 66 attorney for one year to be promoted into the grade 67 position)