lawsuits, draws up legal documents, advises clients as to legal rights, and practices other phases of law by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Gathers evidence in cases to formulate defense or to initiate legal action
- Conducts research, interviews clients, and witnesses and handles other details in preparation for trial
- Prepares legal briefs, develops strategy, arguments and testimony in preparation for presentation of case
- Files brief with court clerk
- Represents client in court, and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies of government
- Interprets laws, rulings, and regulations for businesses
- Confers with colleagues with specialty in area of lawsuit to establish and verify basis for legal proceedings
- Advises corporate clients concerning transactions of business involving internal affairs, stockholders, directors, officers and corporate relations with general public
- Prepares business contracts, pays taxes, settles labor disputes, and administers other legal matters
Directly supervises two or more employees in the Legal Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent; or more than 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Licensed Attorney