Flagstar seeks an attorney to join its fast-paced Mortgage & ConsumerBanking group within the Bank’s Legal Department. This position features immediate exposure to a wide variety of consumer-facing business units along with the opportunity to provide guidance to senior and executive leadership.
- Working both independently and collaboratively with a more senior attorney, provide legal advice and assistance on consumer laws and regulations applicable to retailbanking, wealth management, and consumer lending business units.
- Reviewing policies, procedures, and systematic controls for consistency with statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Collaborating closely with risk partners within individual business units as well as members of compliance and operational risk.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with contacts within business units to ensure legal issues are spotted early on and that those businesses receive timely responses from the Legal Department.
- Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Complete all required compliance training. Maintain knowledge of and adhere to Flagstar's internal compliance policies and procedures. Take responsibility to keep up to date with changing regulations and policies.
- JD from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice in Michigan or registered as in-house counsel in Michigan.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience at a law firm or within a corporate legal department.
- Prior experience providing legal advice to a state or federally chartered bank, credit union, or consumer financial services company.
- Understanding of and experience with interpreting and analyzing statutes and regulations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate ideas and information effectively as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Strong sense of accountability, taking ownership over projects and responsibilities and resolving issues proactively.
- Strong ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers and other Bank departments.