A trusted partner. A national resource. A leader in national security space. We are THE Aerospace Corporation. A team that takes pride in our readiness to solve some of the most complex technical challenges in existence.
With challenges spanning government to commercial, you’ll have the unique opportunity to work on projects that are literally evolving our nation's space and launch capabilities. We all share a common passion and aspiration – to serve a mission much bigger than ourselves. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a rare collection of thought leaders and game-changing innovators. Are you ready to launch your career?
The Air Force is transforming its space enterprise with warfighting-focused initiatives to maintain U.S. space superiority in the 21st century. As an astrodynamics engineering specialist, you’ll be a key member of teams that are developing innovative new missions and capabilities to ensure the U.S. can defend, fight, and win in the space domain.
The qualified candidate will provide mission design and astrodynamics analytical support to government customers as they transform current missions and invent new capabilities.
Emphasis will be in the areas of space situational awareness (SSA), offensive space control (OSC), defensive space control (DSC), and enhancing the resilience of other mission areas in the Air Force Space Command (AFSPC) enterprise architecture. Customers include HQ AFSPC, the Space Security and Defense Program (SSDP), Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC), and others.
- Conduct a range of modeling, simulation, and analysis in areas such as space mission design, orbital maneuvers, orbit estimation, space debris, and space situational awareness
- Provide technical support to AFSPC Space Warfighting Construct and Space Enterprise Vision activities, including the Core Architecture Team, and the Space Security and Defense Program
- Interact directly with Aerospace program office personnel and government customers in the Colorado Springs area and collaborate closely with Aerospace personnel in other locations
- Provide technical expertise and project leadership in the modeling and analysis of SSA, OSC and DSC systems and their broader system-of-systems architectures with a focus on space protection and defense
- Provide independent assessments and lead studies with integrated analyst teams that include government/FFRDC/SETA/contractor members
- Conduct trade studies and comparative performance assessments of system and architecture alternatives to inform customer investment decisions/recommendations
- Support the development and maturation of analysis software tools
- Mentor junior staff and customer personnel
- Occasional travel is required
- Master's degree in engineering, science or related technical discipline with at least six years of engineering experience or a PhD in engineering, science or related technical discipline with at least four years of engineering experience
- Significant experience in orbit mechanics/astrodynamics
- Extensive experience in modeling, simulation, and analysis
- Expertise in one or more of the following technical disciplines required: space mission analysis and design, orbital propagation and perturbations, orbit estimation, orbital maneuvers, launch vehicle and satellite operations, collision risk and debris analyses, missile defense analyses, and modeling and simulation
- Broad understanding of the national security space enterprise and space mission systems engineering
- Proven ability to effectively interact with colleagues, contractors, and senior-level government customers
- Extensive experience presenting technical briefings as well as writing technical documentation
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
- Demonstrated technical team leadership and ability to work independently
- Current SSBI with DoD Top Secret and SCI security clearance
- Experience with satellite design and/or space system research & development
- Experience with DoD space system acquisitions
- Experience generating graphical visualizations of technical analysis results
- Experience with modeling the performance of electro-optical or radiofrequency sensors for SSA or remote sensing
- Proficiency with one or more of the following programming languages/tools: C++, Python, Matlab, SIMULINK, C, Fortran, Java
- Experience with current and planned SSA, OSC and DSC systems and architectures, with extensive background in at least one technical discipline related to SSA, OSC and/or DSC
- Experience working with one or more of the major government organizations in the mission area including but not limited to the Space Security and Defense Program (SSDP), Space Superiority Systems Directorate (SMC/SY), Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), and the Space Threat Assessment Cell (STAC)
- Experience working in a government program office or other direct customer support role
- Current SAP access
Requisition ID: 40945.