The Office of the Vice President of Finance and Administration is seeking an Associate Vice President of Finance. Reporting to the Vice President of Finance and Administration/CFO, this position serves on the Finance & Administration leadership team, and is responsible for oversight of finance, accounting and reporting activities. The Associate Vice President will lead all day-to-day finance operations and manage a team of finance and accounting professionals with functional responsibility for accounting, budgeting, disbursements (including payroll and accounts payables), accounts receivables, institutional data, and financialreporting.
This role serves as a key advisor to the CFO on fiscal and operational issues, with a focus on long-range financial planning, major finance programs, financial controls, financialtechnology systems, and processes. The successful candidate will have a proven track record for ensuring policies, procedures and financial systems are in place to support effective and transparent fiscal stewardship. Additionally, this role must build relationships with college/school/department leads and business managers, to provide sound guidance and direction on finance and accounting procedures and explore ways the finance function can support their operations.
- Lead the establishment, implementation and enforcement of appropriate internal controls and financial policies and procedures
- Manage cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds
- Oversee the university’s annual budget process
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns
- Participate in university-wide financial policy development
- Serve as a university representative to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, auditors and public officials
- Design, establish, and maintain an organizational structure to effectively accomplish the university’s financial goals and objectives
- Prepare and present senior leadership and board level analysis and presentations
- Oversee effective accounting systems that enable proper balance sheetreporting and support safeguarding of university assets
- Prepare short- and long-term financial plans
- Manage preparation of monthly reporting package that includes financial statements, comprehensive performance indicators, analysis of key trends, actual versus budget variances and complete executive level explanations of differences
- Ensure consistent integration with budget outcomes and direct support of overall strategic planning
- Perform financial modeling, financial analysis and valuation support for university wide initiatives
- Recruit, manage, develop, and evaluate a high performing team
- Oversees bond compliance
- Collaborates with crediting agencies
- Supports and communicates the University’s Mission and Vision
- Evaluates potential initiatives for their viability, financial impact, and risk on the University
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will be a proven leader and financial executive with progressive experience related to fiscal affairs within a complex and vibrant organization and have a successful record of sound administrative and responsiblefinancial judgment within such organizations. Candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or related field and 8 – 10 years of progressively responsiblefinance administration leadership experience.
Master’s degree in Business or related field, and 8-10 years of finance and administration leadership experience in a higher education institution preferred.
Candidates must have a proven ability to provide innovative leadership in a dynamic environment and work collaboratively and collegially across divisions with multiple constituents to meet a variety of shifting priorities and time sensitive deadlines. Candidates should have a strong understanding and an appreciation for the complexity of a multi-faceted university.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to share information, carry out initiatives, and serve as a mentor
- Ability to lead, develop and motivate a diverse team
- Strategic thinking and superior analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated experience exercising considerable judgment & resourcefulness
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence through personal credibility, integrity and professionalism
- Excellent written and presentation skills
- Report writing experience (ie: COGNOS)
- Collaborative consensus builder; flexible and open to input
- Ability to manage multiple, concurrent priorities
- Capable of operating in a confidential environment