$200K - $250K(Ladders Estimates)
The Associate Vice President for Finance and Administration (AVP/F&A) is a key leader of the Finance and Administration department, and within the Organization. Functionally, s/he is responsible for ensuring that the US-based accounting, treasury, and statutory and management reporting systems and policies provide high quality, timely data, and analysis for strategic decision support. The AVP/F&A works closely with the VP for F&A on strategic matters, including the setting of departmental and inter-departmental priorities, as well as representing Finance in cross-organizational working groups.
S/he has oversight responsibility for budget processes, financial analysis and forecasting, and the development and oversight of required financial systems, policies, procedures, and internal controls. The position ensures compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, applicable regulatory requirements including municipal bond covenants, internal policies and procedures, and (in coordination with Sr. Director for International Finance) with donor requirements. The AVP/F&A is responsible for ensuring the integrity of the general ledger and related data which is the basis for all internal and external financial reporting. S/he assists the VP for F&A with organizational risk management, participating in decisions around insurance, business development opportunities, and policy development and compliance monitoring.
The AVP/F&A provides innovative solutions for emerging financial management needs, as well as timely strategic decision support for the Leadership Team, Board of Directors, and other stakeholders. The AVP/F&A serves with the VP for F&A as key staff for the Finance and Audit & Risk Committees of the Board. S/he has responsibility and authority for the leadership of Financial Management and Operations in the absence of the Vice President for Finance and Administration. The position provides direct staff to support the organization's Finance Committee. The AVP/F&A supervises 2 management positions and oversees a total staff of 10.
During the current time of transition, this position will be a key stakeholder and leader to integrate and restructure two separate accounting and finance teams into one and combine systems, policies, and processes to meet the needs of the combined larger and more complex organization.
Duties:Strategic Leadership and Governance Support
• Work closely with the VPF&A to develop departmental strategies and workplans that will support the achievement of overall strategy and goals of the organization.
• Represent Accounting and Finance perspective in various cross-organization working groups and special initiatives (e.g. cost recovery task force, expat compliance, impact investing, etc.), strategic working groups, and other cross-departmental planning committees.
• Responsible for preparation of required financial reports for Board and Committees.
• Provide key staff support to Finance Committees (coordination, agenda development, etc.); make required presentations to Finance Committee.
Serve as corporate officer (Assistant Treasurer) for Lutheran Center Corporation (LCC), attend LCC Board meetings, and monitor LCC operations and ensure LCC compliance with municipal bond covenants in order to minimize risk all parties.
Compliance and Risk Management
• Develop internal controls to safeguard the assets of the organization.
• Ensure that accounting and reporting is in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and that audits are "clean".
• Oversee and review the preparation of form 990, tax filings, and other statutory reporting requirements.
• Oversee compliance with payroll-related regulations for US paid employees, including expatriates.
• Ensure compliance with all applicable internal policies and guidelines including:
• Develop finance-related policies that appropriately address risk.
• Work in coordination with VP F&A to manage risk by securing adequate insurance policies.
Identify and monitor financial risks and develop appropriate mitigation strategies.
• Responsible for effectiveness and efficiency of financial operations including:
• Coordinate work of Accounting and General Finance with International Finance to ensure smooth functioning and efficient workflow.
• Identify opportunities for process improvements to ensure continued high functioning of the Finance department.
Develop and maintain a staffing structure and high functioning team to effectively meet the financial operation and management needs of the organization and provide high quality, timely support to all internal clients.
• Perform cash flow monitoring, forecasting, and planning.
• Monitor investment portfolio performance and recommend changes as needed.
• Ensure that budget and forecast processes are effective.
• Oversee regular budget variance analysis.
• Ensure timely, accurate, and relevant financial reporting.
• Provide ad-hoc and standard analysis, trend reporting, and sensitivity analysis to inform financial management decisions.
• Provide input to organizational dashboard(s) for financial Key Performance Indicators.
Manage F&A unit budget in close coordination with the VPF&A, assist in annual budget development and forecasting.
Policies and Systems
• Ensure that proper internal controls are in place and functioning as designed.
• Regularly review and update financial policies (including travel policies) to verify that they remain relevant and appropriate to ensure compliance and best practices while supporting efficient operations.
• Develop and maintain finance and accounting systems and processes that meet the financial management needs of the organization, including:
• Act with the authority of the CFO (VP for F&A) in her/his absence to provide approvals and authorizations related to business development opportunities, procurement, policy exceptions, and other responsibilities as needed.
• Represent the organization to financial partners including auditors, vendors, donors, partners, public officials, and network organizations.
• Other duties as assigned.
Other requirements of this position.
Valid Through: 2019-9-16