This position issecurity-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizesUT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
Salary Salary Negotiable Job Summary
The Associate VicePresident position will be charged the responsibility of leading theformulation and execution of strategic initiatives to drive commercializationof UTSW intellectual property (IP). This individual will play a key role in thesystematic identification and assessment of opportunities to connect innovatorsfrom UTSW with funding opportunities, experienced management, and otherresources to support commercialization. The Associate VP will serve as thesubject matter expert in initiatives to assess, develop, and execute brandingand market channel strategies designed to optimally position UTSW as theforemost destination for biotech investment in North Texas, working with cross-functionalleadership teams to foster the creation of a North Texas biotech corridor.
Reporting directly tothe Executive Vice President for Institutional Advancement, the Associate VicePresident will serve as a key member of the UTSW leadership team in this highlymatrixed and influential position. The Associate VP will collaborate with alarge contingency of key internal and external stakeholders including facultymembers and executives of affiliated and non-affiliated partner organizations,leveraging social, technological, business development, and leadership skillsto support the life cycle of innovation, helping inventors bring theirinventions beyond ideation into sustainable, de-risked, market-ready productsand services. She/he must maintain strong relationships with local and regionalcommunity partners, demonstrating an ability to be culturally sensitive inprogressive clinical and business development situations.
Experience and Education
An advanced degree inBusiness Administration, Marketing, Health Care Management or a science relatedfield. Masters Degree preferred. A minimum of 15 years of progressive,executive leadership experience in the health care, academic medical and/ormulti-hospital system environment, having clearly demonstrated a combination ofvision and energy with a solid record of accomplishment. Ph.D. preferred.
- Translates marketinsights into business strategies and value propositions to help UTSWleadership assess business-specific opportunities to attract new philanthropy,investment and other funding resources for UTSWs strategic initiatives, suchas IP, technology transfer, research, educational programs, and new caredelivery models, e.g., tele-health.
- Interprets vision ofinnovators and leads early phase product planning activities, includingarticulation and prioritization of stated market needs into system levelrequirements, completion of value analysis and business justification, anddevelopment of commercialization strategies.
- Pitchescommercialization opportunities and executes commercialization plans.
- Working with UTSWs VPfor Global Advancement, VP for Technology Development, VP for Development, andother key stakeholders, develops and establishes international philanthropysources and new market channels to attract investment.
- Develops and implementsstrategies to promote UTSW and the region as the foremost destination forbiotech and innovation in the world. Collaborates with local, regional andnational leadership to build deep relationships, and raise awareness of UTSWsentrepreneurial faculty and IP.
- Supports thecommercialization of technology innovations by collaborating with UTSWleadership and key stakeholders to translate business opportunities intocommunications and marketing plans/programs; ensuring consistency acrossservices, locations and affiliates, identifying and leveraging economies ofscale where practical. Facilitate dialogue among/between UTSW and affiliateleadership to identify and prioritize opportunities with correspondingstrategies.
- Drives clarity acrosscompeting priorities with willingness to roll up sleeves, remaining ever poisedand positive even in situations influenced by frequent change, disagreement andambiguity.
- Performs other duties asassigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Work requires ability to quickly grasp the UTSW mission, and regulatory and other complexities unique to the health care industry.
- Work requires knowledge and insight into the development path for IP generated at an academic medical center.
- Work requires broad network of seasoned management and funding opportunities to translate scientific discovery into practical use.
- Work requires demonstrated success driving a branding or marketing campaign that delivered on similar goals including a performance history of expanding the reach and value of an institutions brand in regional, national and global markets as well demonstrated experience with progressive and proactive communications and marketing program development.
- Work requires the ability to work collaboratively, build support, and manage conflicts and champion initiatives successfully across a broad and complex organization.
- Work requires a hands-on, collaborative style and an approach that values understanding and partnership with the UTSW communities.
- Work requires comfort with ambiguity and working in a large, diffuse, highly-matrixed environment.
- Work requires working knowledge of health care delivery systems, national guidelines for quality of care and best practices, data extraction and manipulation, information systems, population-based studies, health services research, research methods, relational databases, bio-statistics, risk adjustment, and predictive modeling.
- Work requires an understanding of current population health management strategies such as health education, case and disease management, demand management, resource utilization, and risk assessment.
- Work requires a demonstrated keen insight to the populations being marketed to, appealing to the values and priorities of those communities.
Work is performedprimarily in office area. Some travelrequired. Any qualifications to be considered asequivalents in lieu of stated minimum require prior approval of Vice Presidentfor Human Resources Administration or his/her designee.