Summary of This Role
Researches technical accounting standards and develops polices to support compliance with regulatory standards. Provides global technical accounting support to finance and business leaders. Partners with other corporate departments such as Tax, Legal, Corporate Accounting and various financialreporting teams in the preparation of the company’s SEC filings (10-Q/10-K) and disclosures. Prepares written technical accounting and financialreporting position papers for review by management and external auditors; including SEC reporting, share-based compensation, revenue recognition, segment reporting, impairment, equity-method investees, acquisitions and discontinued operations. Reviews and assesses third-party valuation of fair value of investments and serves as a liason for the company’s investments through third-party private equity firms. Participates in forecasting and budgeting activities for the business to include reviewing actual as well as projecting budget and forecasted amounts for share-based payments and private equityinvestments. Supports development and communication of monthly financialreports for use by the Chief Accounting Officer and Controller to members of the executive team.
What Part Will You Play?
- Researches complex accounting issues that arise as a result of acquisitions and divestitures. Supports accounting-related, qualitative and quantitative analysis projects associated with potential acquisitions, investments, mergers, divestitures, financings, capital projects and other proposed transactions that require review by the Executive Review and Risk Committee and/or Board of Directors. May provide associated consulting services to operating units as required to assist in M&A work. May support technical accounting analysis; recommend appropriate accounting and disclosure treatment and draft supporting memorandum to document and explain technical accounting conclusions.
- As a key technical resource, researches all accounting standards and recommends relevant changes to senior leaders. May draft comments, for review by senior leaders, to regulatory bodies. Leads moderately complex projects related to the adoption and timely implementation of new accounting pronouncements across all areas of the company in compliance with applicable accounting standards. Reviews contracts, leases, and other agreements and transactions to ensure all potential accounting issues are identified, summarized and present findings to senior leaders in a timely manner. Supports research of accounting literature and apply technical standards and analysis to moderately complex business issues and transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions.
- Coordinates with external auditors to provide requested documentation regarding financial statements and accounting treatment for specific transactions to assist and support SEC reporting. May draft various sections, including Notes and MD&A for review by senior leaders. Reviews external reporting documents (including Forms 8-K, 10-K and 10-Q) and Board of Director materials for accuracy.
- Supports review and assessment of valuation of company's investments by third-party private equity firm. Coordinates timely receipt of documents and capital calls and prepares draft documentation of changes in fair value.
- Gathers and analyzes data to support leaders in counsel to Human Resources on the accounting for Executive Compensation and share-based payment awards (options and performance shares). Coordinates with external third-party to review and assess Black-Scholes and Monte Carlo calculations of stock options. Ensure all monthly activities related to shared based payment awards are completed accurately and timely including monthly accounting entries and account reconciliations.
What Are We Looking For in This Role?
- Bachelor's Degree
- Relevant Experience or Degree in: Accounting, Finance or related degree or qualifying certification (CPA, CMA, ACA, CIMA, ACCA Certification)
- Typically Minimum 6 Years Relevant Exp
- Experience in industry
- Certified Public Accounting (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
What Are Our Desired Skills and Capabilities?
- Skills / Knowledge - Having broad expertise or unique knowledge, uses skills to contribute to development of company objectives and principles and to achieve goals in creative and effective ways. Having ownership of a function, account or matrix management responsibilities, uses knowledge to ensure success, strengthen relationships, expand the business, and lead matrix teams on complex projects. Barriers to entry such as technical committee review may exist at this level.
- Job Complexity - Works on significant and unique issues where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangibles. Exercises independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Creates formal networks involving coordination among groups, both internal and external.